Araneta knocks down Biendema in ‘Kumbati 7’

·2 min read

WORLD-RATED light flyweight Christian Araneta showed that he’s ready for the next level after a quick knockout win over tough Roland Jay Biendema in the main event of “Kumbati 7” on Friday, Dec. 18, 2020, at the IPI Compound in Mandaue City.

After losing to Daniel Valladares in 2019 following a shoulder injury, Araneta was back to his dominant self and knocked Biendema out cold in the 2:15 mark of the opening round with a counter left uppercut to the jaw.

“He’s a legitimate opponent. We thought it was going to last 10 rounds because we know how tough he is,” Omega Pro Sports International (Opsi) vice president Jerome Calatrava told SunStar Cebu.

Araneta improved to 19-1 with 15 knockouts, while Biendema dropped to 15-7-1 with eight knockouts. “Let’s see how the sanctioning bodies will rate him, then we can go on with our plans,” said Calatrava.

The 25-year-old Araneta is currently rated No. 6 in the International Boxing Federation light flyweight division, wherein Felix Alvarado is the current titleholder.

“He’s close (to fighting for a world championship) if anyone gives him a shot. He is hungry for that. Hopefully, he will be rated higher,” said Calatrava.

Meanwhile, Pete Apolinar (13-1, 8 KOs) survived a second round knockdown and beat a game Danny Tampipi (9-12-2, 5 KOs) via unanimous decision in the “Kumbati 7” co-headliner.

In the “Kumbati 7” undercard, Ifugao sensation Carl Jammes Martin (16-0, 14 KOs) beat tough Richard Rosales (14-14-2, 8 KOs) by unanimous decision in a very competitive fight, Albert Pagara (33-1, 23 KOs) defeated veteran Virgil Puton (18-15-2, 9 KOs) by unanimous decision and Franco Serafica (4-1, 2 KOs) scored a first round stoppage over Matthew Fondales (1-3).

Earlier in the afternoon, Tomjune Mangubat (12-2-1, 10 KOs) put on a boxing clinic and forced Reymond Empic (7-6, 3 KOs) to quit on his stool in the third round of the “Kumbati 6” main event.

Carlo Bacaro (7-0, 6 KOs) stopped tough Ryan Maano (5-10-2, 1 KO) in the third round in what was probably the 21-year-old prospect’s stiffest test in the show’s co-main event.

Regie Suganob (5-0, 1 KO) walked away with a convincing unanimous decision over Robert Ates (4-8, 2 KOs), while Benny Cañete (1-0, 1 KO) had a successful pro debut with a second round knockout of fellow newcomer Roque Villagonzalo (0-1).

“It was an awesome one,” Calatrava said of Opsi’s successful second “bubble” boxing who. (EKA)