Arrastre Fees Rise In January

Importers and exporters have started paying higher arrastre fees on international containerized and non-containerized cargoes at the Manila International Container Terminal (MICT) and the South Harbor last month.

This marks the full implementation of the new rates which is about seven percent higher starting January 16 this year. This completes the 15 percent increase granted by the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) in cargo tariffs in 2012. The first tranche of eight percent hike was implemented in July last year.

For importers, the total arrastre charge inclusive of value added tax (VAT) is now R4,174.24 for a 20-foot container, up R254.24 from R3,920 last year. Meanwhile, 40- and 45-foot containers have the same arrastre charges at R9,577.12 compared to R8,994.72 previously, equivalent to R582.40 more than in 2012.

On the other hand, exporters will pay R207.20 higher at R3,408.16 for a 20-footer from the previous R3,200.96, while 40- and 45- foot containers get the same new tariff at R7,827.68 compared to R7,350.56 previously or an increase of R477.12.

Arrastre charge is paid by the owner, consignee or their agent for the handling of the imported or exported article or baggage.

The request to raise the arrastre and wharfage fees was filed with the PPA last year by the International Container Terminal Services, Inc. (ICTS), operator of the MICT, and Asian Terminals, Inc. (ATI), operator of the South Harbor, as a "cost-recovery" measure due to increasing prices of operating expenses. They also claimed that from the additional fees, new equipment will be purchased to improve the services in both ports.

The Philippine Exporters Confederation, Inc. (PHILEXPORT), Export Development Council (EDC) and the Association of International Shipping Lines (AISL) opposed the increase of 20.5 percent and 21 percent requested by ICTSI and ATI respectively, citing that business and timing was bad.

After the public consultations conducted by the PPA on this matter, the agency granted a 15 percent upward adjustment to be implemented in two tranches. - (PHILEXPORT News and Features)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options