Arroyo Invokes Presumption Of Innocence

MANIAL, Philippines - Saying it will violate her right to be presumed innocent, former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has refused to divulge her defense witnesses in pre-trial briefs in the graft case stemming from the botched $330-million national broadband network (NBN) deal.

In a 13-page manifestation with motion filed with the Sandiganbayan Fourth division, Arroyo informed the court that she will not submit a pre-trial brief because she is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

The court had earlier directed Arroyo and her other co-accused -- her husband Mike Arroyo, former Commission on Election chairman Benjamin Abalos Sr., and former Transportation Secretary Leandro Mendoza - to submit pre-trial briefs to facilitate the pre-trial conference scheduled for June 4.

Mrs. Arroyo told the court that she has instructed her counsels to withhold information or discussion on possible defense witnesses, documents and evidence until state prosecutors have presented their case.

"The Supreme Court has clearly, consistently, and unequivocally held that an accused may stay mute and would only be obliged to present controverting evidence if the prosecution proved the elements of the offense beyond reasonable doubt," her motion read.

The graft court has set a hearing on her motion on May 30.

Last week, Abalos Mendoza pre-marked their exhibits and evidence. Mrs. Arroyo's husband submitted his pre-trial brief yesterday.

The Arroyo couple, Abalos and Mendoza were accused of violating Republic Act 3019 [Anti-Graft Law] and the law on ethical standards for public officials for entering into an agreement that allegedly put the government at a disadvantage. They were also accused of accepting bribes from China's ZTE Corp. which allegedly facilitated the approval of the contract.

The four respondents in the NBN-ZTE graft case had earlier pleaded not guilty to charges.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • New law to allow Japan to supply U.S. military in South China Sea, say officials
    New law to allow Japan to supply U.S. military in South China Sea, say officials

    By Nobuhiro Kubo and Tim Kelly TOKYO (Reuters) - Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's plans to expand Japan's non-combat role in armed conflicts beyond "areas around Japan" could see Tokyo becoming dragged into action in the South China Sea in support of U.S. forces, government and ruling party sources say. Abe will send legislation to parliament next month - with the backing of his coalition partners virtually assuring its passage - allowing Japan to ship fuel and ammunition to American units …

  • Philippines accuses China of turning water cannon on its fishing boats

    Filipino activists denounced China's coast guard on Tuesday for turning water cannon on Philippine fishing boats in disputed waters, near where hundreds of Filipino and American Marines landed on a beach in a mock assault. The presidential palace in Manila said China's coast guard used water cannon on Monday to drive away a group of Filipino fishermen at Scarborough Shoal, damaging some of their wooden boats. …

  • U.S. says if China used water cannons on Philippine boats, would be provocative'

    The U.S. State Department said on Tuesday that if reports that China used water cannon son Philippine fishing boats in disputed waters are accurate, it would be a provocative step. Filipino activists have accused China's coast guard of turning water cannons on civilian boats in the disputed area on Monday. …

  • Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash
    Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash

    Manny Pacquiao's face is on shirts, dolls and postage stamps, his life story is playing in movie houses and millions are getting ready to party as the Philippine boxing hero's "fight of the century" nears. Pacmania is sweeping the Southeast Asian nation of 100 million people ahead of the May 2 Las Vegas bout against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather to decide who is the best boxer of their generation. Of course, it's the fight of the century," Manila film producer Lucky Blanco told AFP. …

  • ‘Racist remark vs Pinays not reflective of HK sentiment’
    ‘Racist remark vs Pinays not reflective of HK sentiment’

    The Philippine consulate general in Hong Kong believes that the “racist” statement of legislator Regina Ip against Filipina domestic helpers in Hong Kong is not reflective of the general sentiments of the Hong Kong community. Hong Kong is home to more than 173,00 Filipinos working mostly as household service workers. “They have left their loved ones back home to earn a decent living taking care of Hong Kong families. This, in turn, has engendered positive impact on both the quality of life …

  • SWS: Gov’t rating sinks to record low
    SWS: Gov’t rating sinks to record low

    “The Aquino administration is firmly determined to carry on and complete priority programs in all five pillars of the Philippine development plan, to ensure that reforms will be sustained by strengthened public institutions, to tread the righteous path and ensure that good governance becomes the norm at all levels of government, and to sustain and make permanent the gains from the transformation of mindsets and institutions,” Coloma added. Lawmakers expressed belief yesterday that the Aquino …

  • ‘Pacmania’ sweeping the nation
    ‘Pacmania’ sweeping the nation

    Manny Pacquiao’s face is on shirts, dolls and postage stamps, his life story is playing in movie houses, and millions are getting ready to party as the Philippine boxing hero’s “fight of the century” nears. Pacmania is sweeping the nation of 100 million people ahead of the May 2 Las Vegas bout against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. to decide who is the best boxer of their generation. …

  • House committee to put Bangsamoro police under PNP
    House committee to put Bangsamoro police under PNP

    The House ad hoc committee on the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) will put police forces in the envisioned new autonomous Muslim region under the Philippine National Police (PNP), and not under the regional chief minister. “We will delete the provision in the draft BBL giving the chief minister operational, administrative and disciplinary control over police forces in the region,” Cagayan de Oro City Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, committee chairman, said in a television interview. He said under …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options