Early release of ICC lawyer in Libya unlikely: Australia

Foreign Minister Bob Carr said Wednesday an Australian lawyer and three others held in Libya were entitled to immunity, but admitted the chances of their early release appeared slim.

Melinda Taylor was detained late last week after she met with Seif al-Islam, the son of the slain Moamer Kadhafi, as part of a four-person team from the International Criminal Court (ICC).

They were there to help the detained Seif, 39, choose a defence lawyer. The Hague-based ICC wants to try him for crimes against humanity.

But Libyan officials have alleged Taylor was carrying a pen camera and attempting to give Seif a coded letter from his former right-hand man Mohammed Ismail, who is on the run.

An international delegation was eventually allowed to visit the four on Tuesday in the hill town of Zintan, and Carr said Australia's ambassador to Libya David Ritchie spent 90 minutes with them.

"The ambassador examined the conditions of the prison and reported they were generally adequate," he said in a statement.

"He said Ms Taylor appeared to be well and in reasonable spirits given the circumstances.

"As a representative of the ICC, Ms Taylor and her colleagues were doing the important work of the court and are entitled to immunity," Carr added, urging their early release.

However, in an interview with ABC radio he admitted this was unlikely.

"The Libyans are attaching a very great importance to this case," he said, adding that the four were being held "under guard, they're under duress".

"The disturbing part of his (Ritchie's) report is that there's no evidence of a Libyan interest in an early release.

"Indeed, there's the suggestion that they might be seeking to hold the detainees for 45 days which they have said is the time they need for these sorts of investigations."

The delegation, which included the ambassadors of Australia, Lebanon, Russia and Spain, were initially denied access to the four, but were eventually allowed in after the defence ministry sent documentation in support of the visit.

On Tuesday, Libyan government spokesman Mohammed al-Harizi told the ABC that Taylor would be freed if she gave them information on Ismail.

"We want this guy. It is very important to catch this guy because this guy is very, very, very danger(ous) for us," he said, and claimed Taylor had met with Ismail, given that she had a letter from him.

Carr refused to be drawn on the allegations.

"I don't want to canvass that sort of material. I don't want to enter an argument," he said.

"I'm very conscious that we've got an Australian woman in detention and that we need to maintain a reasonable dialogue with the Libyan government because we want her to be able to enjoy access to her family and decent conditions."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's official KCNA news …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options