Harris is Wallaby hero with last-gasp kick

Australia's Mike Harris kicked a penalty under huge pressure after the full-time siren to give the Wallabies a 25-23 win and break Welsh hearts in Melbourne on Saturday.

Harris' kick from the sideline -- when the replacement had only been on the field for seven minutes -- denied Wales their first win in Australia for 43 years, and secured the series for the home team.

The Wallabies will head to Sydney next week aiming to sweep the three-match series after winning the opening Test 27-19 in Brisbane last weekend.

The Welsh players hung their heads in despair after a committed defensive effort to contain Australia to just one try from Rob Horne, while crossing the line twice themselves through George North and Jonathan Davies.

Wallabies' coach Robbie Deans said his team showed great composure to secure the win.

"We knew that when we play Wales they're an 80-minute side, they've very much a second-half side," he said.

"Fortunately, the boys had enough composure when they were under the pump at the death to get their hands on the ball one more time, produce some pressure and produce an outcome."

Wales' caretaker coach Rob Howley pointed out his side had been 20 seconds away from winning their first Test in Australia since 1969.

"We're hugely disappointed having outscored Australia two tries to one," Howley said.

"I thought our defensive effort throughout the game was absolutely outstanding and we negated a lot of Australia's strengths and in international rugby it's all about those fine margins.

"We gave them the opportunity through a lack of discipline in those last two minutes which they took."

The lead changed hands eight times in the second half, with Australian man-of-the-match Berrick Barnes landing a conversion and five penalties, and Wales' Leigh Halfpenny kicking two conversions and three penalties.

The Six Nations champions had a dream start with left-winger North plunging over in the fourth minute next to the posts after early pressure.

Australia got more possession and territory but were made to work hard before Barnes kicked two penalties, leaving the home side trailing by one point after 30 minutes.

In one passage the Wallabies went through 18 phases, but Wales' defence held firm.

The Wallabies finally cracked the resolute Welsh when Barnes dummied his way past centre Ashley Beck and sent Horne racing away to score, giving the hosts a 13-7 half-time advantage.

But four minutes after the resumption Wales pounced on an errant Will Genia pass from a lineout and Beck toed through for Jonathan Davies to win the chase and score a converted try for a 14-13 lead.

North was penalised for holding on a few minutes later and Barnes kicked the Wallabies back in front from wide out.

But in a see-sawing contest, Halfpenny nudged Wales ahead with a penalty after 51 minutes.

The Wallabies had another 15 phases inside the Welsh quarter before regaining the lead with an offside penalty scored by Barnes.

Australia were reduced to 14 men when winger Cooper Vuna was yellow-carded for tackling Halfpenny in mid-air as the Welsh fullback leaped for a high kick. Vuna was cited by the match commissioner afterwards for a dangerous tackle.

Halfpenny picked himself off the ground to land the penalty for Wales to lead again on the hour, only for Barnes to reclaim it with another three-pointer for 22-20.

Again a Halfpenny penalty put Wales in front and within sight of a historic win, and Barnes missed for the first time in the match when he had a chance to put Australia ahead after a scrum penalty, going off immediately afterwards.

But as the Wallabies pressed in the dying seconds the Welsh were penalised in a rolling maul, and Harris had the final say.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

  • Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions
    Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions

    Short of condemning China’s aggressive actions in the West Philippine Sea, a senior US military official said Washington does not support any act of coercion and bullying. “We don’t stand for coercion, bullying and aggressiveness,” said Brig. Gen. Christopher Mahoney, assistant US military director for  Phl-US Joint Balikatan Exercises 2015. At the sidelines of this year’s joint military exercises’ static aircraft display held at Clark Air Base in Pampanga, Mahoney told a media briefing that …

  • ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’
    ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’

    The proposed grant to the chief minister of the envisioned Bangsamoro region of operational control over police forces in the area is consistent with the Constitution, a senior administration lawmaker said yesterday. It is clear in the proposed BBL that the Bangsamoro police will be part of the Philippine National Police (PNP), while the Bangsamoro Regional Police Board (BRPB) will be part of the National Police Commission (Napolcom) and will carry out Napolcom’s mandate in the region,” he …

  • Noy off to KL for Asean meet
    Noy off to KL for Asean meet

    President Aquino will arrive here this afternoon with Manila hopeful of support from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to achieve peace and stability in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) as well as economic prosperity and inclusive growth among the people in the region. Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Jose Eduardo Malaya III said that with respect to the dramatic developments in the South China Sea, Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman had called for the early …

  • Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food
    Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food

    After months of preparation and hard work from both the government and private sectors, the future of food is finally here in the country’s capital. Madrid Fusión Manila opened its doors on Friday to an international delegation who eagerly awaited the discussions of some of the most renowned and revered names in the culinary world. Madrid Fusión Manila is a historic gastronomic event marked by talks and exhibitions that showcases Spain and the Philippines’ shared cultural heritage, as well as …

  • Family receives execution order, visits Mary Jane
    Family receives execution order, visits Mary Jane

    As Philippine officials continue to plead for a stay in the execution of death convict Mary Jane Veloso, the Indonesian government has sent a notice to her family ordering her execution at an undisclosed date, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said yesterday. Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said Indonesian authorities also allowed Veloso’s family and her lawyers to visit her on Nebu Kambangan execution island. “The Prosecutor gave notice letter to the family of Mary Jane …

  • ‘Pinoys’ cheerful attitude backs tourism campaign’
    ‘Pinoys’ cheerful attitude backs tourism campaign’

    The 2015 World Happiness Report ranking the Philippines as 90th among 158 happiest countries is a validation of the government’s tourism campaign, “It’s more fun in the Philippines,” a Palace official said yesterday. The news did not come as a surprise as Filipinos are naturally cheerful, Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. of the Presidential Communications Operations Office said. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options