Australia offers 'best jobs in the world'

Australia's tourism industry on Tuesday resurrected its hugely popular "Best Jobs in the World" campaign, offering a chance to become a "Chief Funster", "Taste Master" or "Outback Adventurer".

The marketing push is targeting the youth segment, which contributes Aus$12 billion (US$12.2 billion) annually in tourism spending and delivers nearly 1.6 million, or 26 percent, of Australia's international arrivals.

It follows a similar campaign that attracted huge interest in 2009, won by Briton Ben Southall, who was paid to become caretaker on a picture-perfect island on the Great Barrier Reef for six months.

This time six "best" jobs are on offer -- each in a different Australian state and each coming with a six-month salary package worth Aus$100,000.

It is open to travellers aged between 18 and 30, with particular focus on international markets eligible for Australian working holiday visas including Britain, the United States, France, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.

Hopefuls have until April 10 to upload a 30-second video explaining why they're the best for the job.

The event's official Facebook page had almost 160,000 likes by late Tuesday and some 31,000 people had already thrown their hat in the ring, according to officials, with 8,000 applications flooding in in the first two hours alone.

The initiative was largely well received, but some Australians questioned why such plum jobs should be offered to foreigners when there were adequately skilled local people looking for work.

"I'm pretty sure most Australians would be against this publicity stunt... I would love this job, just like any other Australian, and paying some foreigners $100,000 to come here for 6 months! How about giving those jobs to Australians first!" wrote one unemployed Australian on the campaign's Facebook page.

Tourism Australia managing director Andrew McEvoy said the competition was expected to appeal to youth travellers' sense of fun and adventure.

"The competition provides an excellent platform to entice more young people from around the world to come to Australia to holiday, but also to work, helping to fill many unfilled tourism jobs across Australia," he said.

The chief funster position is New South Wales-based and involves becoming a Sydney VIP, attending and reviewing festivals and events and tweeting thoughts.

The taste master in Western Australia will tour top restaurants, wineries, breweries and pubs while the outback adventurer will be tasked with uncovering the best experiences for Northern Territory working holidaymakers.

Other jobs include a park ranger in Queensland, a lifestyle photographer in Victoria and wildlife caretaker in South Australia, moving around by foot, kayak, bicycle, and boat.

Previous winner Southall said the experience was life-changing.

"I didn't know if I was going to be diving, or skydiving or cooking or bushwalking -- and I did all of them," he said.

"It's one of those things where you've just got to go for it and see where it leads you."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options