Morgan sets up England win over Australia

Eoin Morgan's rapid 89 not out laid the platform for England's 15-run win over arch-rivals Australia in the first one-day international at Lord's here on Friday.

Victory kept alive England's hopes of replacing their oldest foes as the world's top-ranked one-day side and of being number one in all three formats, although they need to sweep this campaign 5-0 to knock Australia off their 50-over perch.

England were struggling when left-hander Morgan, on his Middlesex home ground, came in at 121 for three.

But the former Ireland international, the man-of-the-match, broke the shackles with a 63-ball innings featuring four sixes and five fours to propel England to 272 for five.

He shared stands of 68 with Jonathan Trott (54) and 83 with Craig Kieswetter (25) after Australia had won the toss.

"Conditions were very tough, I thought 277 was par, but we bowled really well," Morgan told the BBC.

"It's been a big turnaround for me since the start of the year and I'm very pleased," said Morgan, currently out of England's Test side.

"It was comfortable at the end, the wicket was getting better, but the guys bowled really well."

Australia, chasing 273 for victory, saw captain Michael Clarke top-score with 61 after opener David Warner had made 56.

But England's bowlers were largely on top, with their four seamers all taking two wickets apiece.

Asked if Morgan had been the difference, Clarke replied: "He played really well, that's for sure. He deserves a lot of credit, he helped England get to a very good total and it was too good for us unfortunately.

"We probably didn't execute our skills at 'the death' as well as we could have. I think they took 80-odd off the last 10 overs.

"And then we lost wickets at important stages of the game where we needed blokes to go on and make big scores."

Australia opener Shane Watson fell for just 12 when he was caught behind off Middlesex fast bowler Steven Finn, although England had to review Pakistani umpire Aleem Dar's original not out decision.

Left-hander Warner and George Bailey settled into a partnership of 76, but that stand ended when Bailey played on to James Anderson.

Warner struck a six and six fours in 61 balls but was unable to go on and edged Anderson to wicket-keeper Kieswetter who, diving to his left, held the first of four catches.

At that stage, both Clarke and David Hussey were on nought.

The run-rate slowed and Hussey made just 13 before a Finn bouncer hit his helmet and deflected onto the stumps to leave Australia 132 for four.

Clarke and wicket-keeper Matthew Wade got Australia back into the game with a stand of 57 at better than a run-a-ball.

Wade pulled Anderson for six and Clarke drove off-spinner Graeme Swann high over the top to seal a 59-ball fifty.

However, a dreadful mix-up saw Wade run out as he sacrificed his wicket on behalf of his skipper.

"It probably played a big part in us not winning the game," said Clarke.

"If Matthew and I were there at the end, we were confident we had a chance.

"It was disappointing and run outs tend to do that, don't they? They tend to cost you the game."

Tim Bresnan then captured the prize wicket of Clarke after the batsman swung across a low full toss and was plumb lbw.

Stuart Broad took two wickets for five runs in six balls to leave Australia 231 for nine.

But Brett Lee and last man Xavier Doherty held on to leave Australia with a target of 21 off the last over, from Finn.

However, Finn kept his nerve and conceded just five runs as England beat Australia in a one-day international at Lord's for the first time since 1997.

The series continues across London at The Oval on Sunday.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Chinese actions 'may undermine peace' in S. China Sea: ASEAN
    Chinese actions 'may undermine peace' in S. China Sea: ASEAN

    Chinese island-building efforts "may undermine peace, security and stability" in the disputed South China Sea, said a statement by Southeast Asian leaders meeting for a summit on Monday. The statement, yet to be publicly released, was prepared on behalf of leaders of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) gathering in Malaysia for an annual meeting. "We share the serious concerns expressed by some leaders on the land reclamation being undertaken in the South China Sea, …

  • Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia
    Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia

    Australia on Monday urged Indonesia to ensure all legal processes have been cleared of corruption before executing two of its nationals as bribery allegations surfaced regarding their drug smuggling trial. Foreign Minister Julie Bishop spoke to her Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi on Sunday evening while Prime Minister Tony Abbott has written to President Joko Widodo to again plead for the executions to be halted. "Bali Nine" drug traffickers Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan could face …

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options