‘Humba’ blamed for downing 26 people in church activity

·1 min read

PORK humba may have been to blame for the alleged food poisoning that occurred during the feast of the Pentecost at the IC3 Convention Center on Sunday, May 23, 2021, which downed 26 performers.

Msgr. Joseph Tan, Archdiocese of Cebu spokesperson, said the 26 performers experienced mild to severe stomachaches.

Of the 26, 16 were brought to a nearby hospital while the other 10 were sent home.

The Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) officer-in-charge Ramil Ayuman said the food packs that were distributed during the event contained rice and “humba” packed in plastic.

Ayuman said the food packs were prepared by a caterer from Lapu-Lapu City.

The humba was turned over to the Department of Health (DOH) Regional Surveillance Unit.

As of Monday morning, May 24, the Archdiocese of Cebu announced that all patients brought to the hospital had been discharged.

Fe Barino, chairperson of the Commission of the Laity of the Archdiocese of Cebu, said they are also monitoring other participants of their Pentecost celebration.

Barino said that so far, there were no other individuals reported to have fallen ill.

“We are closely monitoring other participants from outside Cebu City,” Barino said in a statement.

She said the hospital bills incurred by the performers were all paid by the Archdiocese’s Charismatic communities.

The Charismatic Jubilee was celebrated in view of the 500 years of Christianity in the Philippines. (JJL)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting