Auto giant Fiat's future plans put Italy on edge

Fiat's boss painted a bleak picture of the Italian auto market but said the historic brand will stay in the country, amid union warnings that Italy's top private sector employer is set to shed jobs.

Sergio Marchionne, who also heads up US auto giant Chrysler, was responding to a furore in Italy after Fiat last week said it would not stick to its previous investment targets and would unveil a new strategic plan next month.

"Fiat has accumulated losses of 700 million euros ($916 million) in Europe and is supporting these losses thanks to success in the United States and emerging markets," Marchionne told La Repubblica daily on Tuesday.

Of the 3.5 billion euros in operating profit Fiat expects this year, none of it will come from Italy, where there has been a collapse in sales, he said.

Asked if he saw any light at the end of the tunnel, Marchionne responded: "I don't see anything until 2014. That's why investing in 2012 would be lethal."

Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti spoke to Marchionne later on Tuesday and the two agreed to hold a meeting on Saturday, where the Fiat boss will inform ministers of the company's plans in Italy, the government said in a statement.

Economic Development Minister Corrado Passera and Welfare Minister Elsa Fornero will also be present, along with Fiat chairman John Elkann -- a scion of the company's founding family and key shareholders, the Agnellis.

Marchionne has been a divisive figure since taking over in 2004 an industrial powerhouse that once symbolised Italy's post-war economic boom.

Marchionne over the past few years has forged a partnership with once-troubled US giant Chrysler, which is now propping up Fiat's results.

"I am trying to profit from the recovery of the American market, exploit it to the maximum, to attain the financial security that would allow me to protect the presence of Fiat in Italy and in Europe at this dramatic moment," he said.

But the chief executive's orientation towards the United States and his repeated barbs against Italy have sparked anger in Fiat's heartland.

Fornero told La Repubblica that Fiat had "a duty" to explain itself, adding that Marchionne "owes this not so much to the government or the shareholders but to Fiat workers and to the thousands of families that depend on it."

Fiat employs a total of 197,000 people, including around 80,000 in Italy.

"Fiat has done so much for Italy but it also has responsibilities towards this country. We would like it to bear that in mind," Fornero said.

But she cautioned that "the government cannot impose its choices on a private company" -- unlike the French government which has raised its hackles at Peugeot's plan to close a landmark plant near Paris and shed 8,000 jobs.

The crisis in the country's auto market has proved worse than expected, with car sales in Italy plunging by 20.2 percent in August on a 12-month comparison.

Trade union leaders are already warning that Fiat could be preparing to announce the closure of one or more of its five plants in Italy, which are currently only producing at 50 percent capacity due to the slump in demand.

Fiat's history has reflected the downs as well as the ups of Italian industry and it became an important hub of trade union militancy and violent protests in the 1970s and 1980s -- a period that some say could be returning.

The company, which was founded in 1899, is most closely associated internationally with its late veteran chairman Gianni Agnelli -- a fashionable playboy and shrewd tycoon who engineered a massive international expansion.

Marchionne meanwhile has come under growing criticism from his peers, with fashion billionaire Diego Della Valle on Friday criticising his "bad decisions" which go against "the interests and the needs of the country."

Italy "has given a lot to Fiat -- maybe too much," Della Valle said.

Antonio Di Pietro, a populist politician and leader of the Italy of Values party, said he was saddened that "people like Marchionne take money and resources from the country and do what they want with them."

"Italy needs industrial giants like the Fiat of yesteryear," he said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options