Bali 'unsafe' for international criminals

Denpasar (The Jakarta Post/ANN) - A fugitive since 2009, Czech national Tomas Toman, a convicted murderer, was finally extradited to his country from Bali's Ngurah Rai International Airport early on Friday.

Toman, who was sentenced to 12 years and 6 months for murder by a municipal court in Prague on April 16, 2009, was arrested by Bali immigration officers in 2011 and had been detained at Kerobokan prison since July 2011. Toman entered Bali after fleeing Australia.

Law and Human Rights Ministry Bali regional office head Asep Kurnia stressed Bali was no sanctuary for criminal fugitives.

"This extradition proves that Indonesia, especially Bali, is unsafe for international criminals," said Asep, as quoted by the ministry's official website.

Toman, born in Prague on Sept. 22, 1981, was flown home on a 00:35 a.m. Korean Air flight.

"He was in good condition at the time of the extradition," said a source at the ministry.

The extradition process of Toman was strengthened by Presidential Decree (Keppres) No. 4/2013 after the extradition was requested by the Czech Republic government and approved by the Denpasar district court on Sept. 10, 2012.

Toman's extradition is the first from Indonesia to the Czech Republic. Although both countries do not have any extradition agreement in place, this extradition was acceptable based on good bilateral relations between the two countries and the fact that Toman's crime was regarded as such in Indonesia.

"No criminals will be allowed to hide in Bali," said head of immigration at the ministry's Bali office Marolan J. Barimbing.

At present, the office is in the process of extraditing an alleged Italian mafioso who is on a list of fugitives tracked by the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol). The Italian was arrested by Bali immigration officers in January.

Meanwhile, an American who reportedly violated Indonesian immigration rules for having no passport documentation and for allegedly being involved in drugs cases in the US was now also awaiting deportation, Marolan added.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Que nails first title in 3 years

    The three-time Asian Tour champion, who bounced back from a mediocre start of 72 and 71 with a fiery 66 Friday to tie Tabuena at helm, pooled a 72-hole total of seven-under 281 to nail the elusive win on the ICTSI Philippine Golf Tour worth P650,000. Hounded by poor putting, Tabuena went birdie-less for the first time in a long while but still stayed in the title hunt with a slew of pars at the back until he bogeyed the 17th and fell by two. …

  • Church: Donate to ‘Alay Kapwa’

    An official of the Church’s social action arm has asked the faithful to be generous when making a donation to "Alay Kapwa" today, Palm Sunday, which is also designated as Alay Kapwa Sunday.   Fr. Edu Gariguez, executive secretary of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines-National Secretariat for Social Action (CBCP-NASSA), said the faithful should generously give to Alay Kapwa as the amount collected will be used as emergency funds for crisis and calamities both from natural and …

  • ‘PNP’s systematic anti-crime drive to be sustained

    Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) secretary Manuel ‘Mar’ Roxas II vowed to sustain the Philippine National Police’s (PNP) deliberate, programmatic and determined approach in fighting criminality.  “The President and Filipino people can be assured that the PNP will not slow down in its mission of fighting criminality, not only in Metro Manila but nationwide," said Roxas, who bared that there has been a significant drop in criminal activities within Metro Manila, especially …

  • Visayas grid to benefit from new Luzon power plants

    Owing to the existing transmission interconnection, Visayas grid is seen benefitting from the projected ‘oversupply’ that may saturate Luzon in the next three years. The Department of Energy and players from the power industry have noted the scant flow of capital for new power projects in Visayas, but they underscored that the transmission link-up would enable the sharing of energy between the two grids. First Gen executive vice president Ernesto B. Pantangco, who is also vice president of …

  • Arroyo’s co-accused permitted to undergo hospital procedure

    A co-accused of former President and now Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in a plunder case has been allowed by the Sandiganbayan First Division to undergo a medical procedure tomorrow. The graft court permitted former Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) board member Benigno Aguas, who was also its former budget and accounts manager, to undergo a cardiopulmonary/endocrine clearance procedure at the St. Luke's Medical Center in Quezon City this morning. Aguas, who is …

  • Petron expands petroleum retail operations

    Following the completion of its re-branding on acquired assets, leading Philippine oil firm Petron Corporation is now setting its goal on expanding its retail network in Malaysian petroleum market. The company has emphasized “20 more sites are in various stages of construction and commissioning.” On the downstream petroleum industry, it is the first time that a Filipino firm had brought its brand to an offshore market. It is technically some sort of ‘symbiosis’ when it comes to investments …

  • PAGASA: Storm may enter PH by Wednesday

    It may be a wet and windy Holy Week due to an erstwhile low pressure area which has intensified into a tropical storm with international name "Maysak,” according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.As of yesterday morning, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) estimated the cyclone at about 3,300 kilometers east of Mindanao and outside the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR).Should it maintain its present speed and track, it may enter the …

  • News In Brief

    The weighted average rate stands at P44.796 MINDANAO INFRASTRUCTURE SHARE INCREASED In a bid to boost the Mindanao economy, the Philippine government has increased the southern island’s share of the 2015 infrastructure budget to 30%, or around $4 billion, said Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson at the Philippines Investment Forum in Manila last week. “In 10 years’ time it’s still likely to be 30% because while the Philippines is committed to growing renewables, demand will …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options