Juve hopes boosted, Inter leapfrog Milan

Juventus's title defence hopes were buoyed after the champions opened up a five-point lead over Napoli, with Inter Milan leapfrogging city rivals Milan into fourth place on Sunday.

In the day's main fixtures, Mario Balotelli scored a late penalty to secure a 1-1 draw for Milan at Cagliari, but Massimiliano Allegri's side slipped to fifth after Inter's later 3-1 win over Chievo.

Juventus now lead Napoli by five points, with Lazio in third a further six points off the pace and Inter a further point adrift in fourth.

Juventus had assured their 17th win of the campaign on Saturday when goals by Mirko Vucinic and Alessandro Matri, the latter scoring without his boot, secured a 2-0 home win over Fiorentina.

If that incident provided some amusement, it wasn't fully appreciated by Fiorentina or their coach Vincenzo Montella, who was unhappy while conceding defeat.

"Juventus showed their superiority," said Montella. "We tried to challenge but Juve scored and controlled the game like the great team they are."

The result left Napoli needing to beat Lazio at the Olympic Stadium to restore their three-point deficit.

But instead Napoli were left thanking Argentine defender Hugo Campagnaro for a stunning late goal which levelled Sergio Floccari's 12th minute opener for Lazio, who should have wrapped the match up earlier.

"It was a very important point for us," said Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri.

"It wasn't easy to win. They started with pace and we found the going tough."

After spurning several chances to seal the win, Lazio coach Vladimir Petkovic lamented: "It was a great game by the lads, we created so many scoring chances but we had to be more clinical."

Balotelli, meanwhile, scored his third goal in two games to snatch a share of the points for Milan after Victor Ibarbo had opened the scoring for Cagliari on the stroke of half time.

The Italy international could have wrapped victory up for the Rossoneri, but was guilty of missing a superb chance in the dying minutes when he also found himself offside twice while presented with goal-scoring chances.

Allegri admitted: "It was a tight game and we did well to hold out in the first half before we conceded the goal right just before half-time.

"We pulled our socks up in the second half and after the penalty when we created a few chances we should have put the match beyond reach. But overall it was a good point for us."

Inter, meanwhile, capitalised on those dropped points at the San Siro to move up to fourth place with a convincing 3-1 win over Chievo.

Antonio Cassano gave Inter a second-minute lead when his strike squeezed past Christian Puggioni in the Chievo net.

Chievo levelled on 21 minutes thanks to Luca Rigoni, but two minutes later defender Andrea Ranocchia rose above the opposition defence to send a bullet header past Puggioni.

Inter's domination continued into the second half, the Nerazzurri taking just five minutes to score a third after Diego Milito trapped Esteban Cambiasso's cross in the area to rifle home.

Meanwhile, in their first game since the sacking of Czech coach Zdenek Zeman last week, Roma's slump continued with a 3-1 defeat to Sampdoria.

Paraguayan midfielder Marcelo Estigarribia broke the deadlock on 56 minutes and Samp doubled their lead on 73 minutes when second-half substitute Gianluca Sansone rifled a freekick past Maarten Stekelenburg.

Midfielder Erik Lamela reduced arrears two minutes later, but a further two minutes later Emanuele Icardi was left unmarked to beat Stekelenburg at the back post from a 77th minute corner.

"Sampdoria deserved the win," said Roma's caretaker coach Aurelio Andreazzoli, has work to do if he is to plug the holes in Roma's defence which has now conceded 45 goals.

"A few decisions could have gone our way and I'm satisfied with how the lads played, but I'm not happy with the result."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options