Ban speaks out on Palestinian hunger strikers

UN chief Ban Ki-moon urged Israel to try or release hunger-striking Palestinian prisoners after activists denounced his "silence" in a protest outside the UN's West Bank offices.

Dozens of demonstrators calling for action to help the weakening prisoners stopped UN employees from entering their offices in Ramallah, waving banners reading: "UNjust" and "UNfair."

More than a third of the 4,700 Palestinian prisoners held by Israel are currently observing an open-ended hunger strike.

Two of them -- Bilal Diab, 27, and Thaer Halahla, 33 -- were marking their 71st day without eating in protest at being held without charge.

They are being held under a procedure known as administrative detention, which allows Israel to hold suspects indefinitely for renewable periods of up to six months.

Another five prisoners have been refusing food for between 48 and 66 days.

The vast majority began refusing food on April 17 to demand improved conditions, including family visits and increased access to lawyers, an end to solitary confinement and administrative detention.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) warned on Tuesday that six hunger strikers were in "imminent danger" of death and called on Israel to have them hospitalised.

But Israel has so far rejected all appeals lodged by the hunger strikers, and refused family visits.

They only briefly transferred one of them to a civilian hospital amid mounting protests from human rights groups as well as the UN.

"We note with disappointment your silence ever since this protest movement began in December 2011," protest organisers said in an open letter to Ban.

That was when one prisoner, Khader Adnan, began a 66-day hunger strike which put the international spotlight on the issue of administrative detention.

Adnan ended his strike in mid-February after Israel agreed not to extend his detention. He was released on April 17.

"This stands in stark contrast to your vocal and persistent remarks in support of formerly incarcerated Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit," the organisers added.

Israeli soldier Shalit who was held captive by Gaza's Hamas rulers for more than five years before being released in October last year.

"We urge you to take a firm and vocal position in opposition to Israel's abuse and violation of Palestinian prisoners' rights," they said.

In a letter to the UN Security Council, the Palestinian mission to the UN reaffirmed the ICRC's call for the six most gravely ill prisoners to be moved to a specialist hospital.

"Tensions in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, are markedly rising due to the gravity of this issue and its continued non-resolution," the letter said.

Later, Ban issued a statement through his spokesman calling on Israel to take action to prevent the longer-term hunger strikers' condition worsening.

"The secretary general continues to follow with concern the ongoing hunger strike by Palestinian prisoners in Israeli custody, in particular, those held in what is known as 'administrative detention'," spokesman Martin Nesirky said.

"He stresses the importance of averting any further deterioration in their condition," Nesirky added.

"He reiterates that those detained must be charged and face trial with judicial guarantees, or released without delay."

Diab's lawyer, Jamil Khatib, said his client had been transferred out of a civilian hospital and returned to the infirmary wing of Ramle prison near Tel Aviv on Monday, despite his serious condition.

He also said Diab, Halahla and three other long-term hunger strikers had begun refusing all intravenous liquids as well as any medical treatment from staff at the infirmary.

"Since yesterday (Tuesday), they have refused IVs and treatment from the prison staff as well as medical check-ups," he said.

"They are continuing their strike and are willing to continue until death. Their morale is high and they intend to stop drinking water soon," he warned.

On Tuesday, the European Union expressed concern about the plight of the longer-term hunger strikers, urging Israel to provide them with proper medical care.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Que nails first title in 3 years

    The three-time Asian Tour champion, who bounced back from a mediocre start of 72 and 71 with a fiery 66 Friday to tie Tabuena at helm, pooled a 72-hole total of seven-under 281 to nail the elusive win on the ICTSI Philippine Golf Tour worth P650,000. Hounded by poor putting, Tabuena went birdie-less for the first time in a long while but still stayed in the title hunt with a slew of pars at the back until he bogeyed the 17th and fell by two. …

  • Church: Donate to ‘Alay Kapwa’

    An official of the Church’s social action arm has asked the faithful to be generous when making a donation to "Alay Kapwa" today, Palm Sunday, which is also designated as Alay Kapwa Sunday.   Fr. Edu Gariguez, executive secretary of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines-National Secretariat for Social Action (CBCP-NASSA), said the faithful should generously give to Alay Kapwa as the amount collected will be used as emergency funds for crisis and calamities both from natural and …

  • ‘PNP’s systematic anti-crime drive to be sustained

    Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) secretary Manuel ‘Mar’ Roxas II vowed to sustain the Philippine National Police’s (PNP) deliberate, programmatic and determined approach in fighting criminality.  “The President and Filipino people can be assured that the PNP will not slow down in its mission of fighting criminality, not only in Metro Manila but nationwide," said Roxas, who bared that there has been a significant drop in criminal activities within Metro Manila, especially …

  • Visayas grid to benefit from new Luzon power plants

    Owing to the existing transmission interconnection, Visayas grid is seen benefitting from the projected ‘oversupply’ that may saturate Luzon in the next three years. The Department of Energy and players from the power industry have noted the scant flow of capital for new power projects in Visayas, but they underscored that the transmission link-up would enable the sharing of energy between the two grids. First Gen executive vice president Ernesto B. Pantangco, who is also vice president of …

  • Arroyo’s co-accused permitted to undergo hospital procedure

    A co-accused of former President and now Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in a plunder case has been allowed by the Sandiganbayan First Division to undergo a medical procedure tomorrow. The graft court permitted former Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) board member Benigno Aguas, who was also its former budget and accounts manager, to undergo a cardiopulmonary/endocrine clearance procedure at the St. Luke's Medical Center in Quezon City this morning. Aguas, who is …

  • Petron expands petroleum retail operations

    Following the completion of its re-branding on acquired assets, leading Philippine oil firm Petron Corporation is now setting its goal on expanding its retail network in Malaysian petroleum market. The company has emphasized “20 more sites are in various stages of construction and commissioning.” On the downstream petroleum industry, it is the first time that a Filipino firm had brought its brand to an offshore market. It is technically some sort of ‘symbiosis’ when it comes to investments …

  • PAGASA: Storm may enter PH by Wednesday

    It may be a wet and windy Holy Week due to an erstwhile low pressure area which has intensified into a tropical storm with international name "Maysak,” according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.As of yesterday morning, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) estimated the cyclone at about 3,300 kilometers east of Mindanao and outside the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR).Should it maintain its present speed and track, it may enter the …

  • News In Brief

    The weighted average rate stands at P44.796 MINDANAO INFRASTRUCTURE SHARE INCREASED In a bid to boost the Mindanao economy, the Philippine government has increased the southern island’s share of the 2015 infrastructure budget to 30%, or around $4 billion, said Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson at the Philippines Investment Forum in Manila last week. “In 10 years’ time it’s still likely to be 30% because while the Philippines is committed to growing renewables, demand will …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options