Banks with Napoles ties may also be accountable, says Drilon

Aside from Janet Lim Napoles and lawmakers who funded her non-government organizations, banks may also be held accountable over the pork barrel scam.
 
The Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) is probing bank accounts linked to the businesswoman at the center of the scandal, Senate President Franklin Drilon said Monday.
 
“[T]he rule is that if the transaction is over P500,000 the banks will report it,” Drilon said, referring the implementing rules of the Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2001.
 
The law requires financial institutions to report single transactions in cash or other equivalent monetary instrument amounting to P500,000 or more in one banking day.

Related story: Plunder raps vs. Napoles, lawmakers filed
 
Drilon noted, however, note that not all these transactions are considered suspicious as banks impose what he called the “know your customer rule.”
 
“There’s no red flag simply because it's P500,000. You report it, but you won't say something is wrong here,” he said, adding that banks are the ones who tag “irregular transactions.”
 
In many cases, he said, transactions beyond P500,000 do not raise red flags because banks find these transactions to be “in the ordinary course of the client.”
 
The Senate President’s statement comes as the Justice department on Monday filed charges against Napoles and at least five lawmakers.
 
Pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy has earlier told the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee that Napoles often transacted with banks in excessive amounts of cash.
 
Luy, once Napoles’ aide, cited an instance when they needed P75 million from a private bank, which they then called to reserve the money for pickup in cash later that day.
 
The amounts are overwhelming that the cash often did not fit in Napoles’ vaults, and has to be placed in bags and either on her bed or in her bathtub, Luy told senators.

Also read: Senators could be expelled if found guilty of plunder
 
The Court of Appeals has earlier issued a six-month freeze order on all accounts owned by Napoles, her family, her company’s staff and all her non-government organizations.

 
Whistleblowers have claimed however that most of Napoles’ more than 400 bank accounts may have already been emptied prior to the freeze order.
 
The AMLC has also earlier said they are looking into the possibility that Napoles stored money in accounts abroad, noting that these too may be covered by frozen.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • U.N. chief appeals to Indonesia not to carry out executions
    U.N. chief appeals to Indonesia not to carry out executions

    United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appealed to Indonesia on Saturday not to execute 10 prisoners, including two Australians, for drug-related crimes. Indonesia has so far informed seven of the 10 death row inmates, including the Australians and one Nigerian, that they will be executed in a matter of days, possibly as soon as Tuesday. Nationals from Brazil, Ghana and the Philippines are also on Indonesia's death row. A temporary reprieve was granted to a French citizen who will not …

  • Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions
    Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions

    Indonesia on Sunday signalled it was determined to push ahead with the execution of eight foreign drug convicts, despite a growing wave of global condemnation led by United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon. Authorities on Saturday gave formal notice to the eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- that they would be executed by firing squad imminently, along with an Indonesian prisoner. The group have been moved to the high-security prison island of Nusakambangan, where …

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

  • Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions
    Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions

    Short of condemning China’s aggressive actions in the West Philippine Sea, a senior US military official said Washington does not support any act of coercion and bullying. “We don’t stand for coercion, bullying and aggressiveness,” said Brig. Gen. Christopher Mahoney, assistant US military director for  Phl-US Joint Balikatan Exercises 2015. At the sidelines of this year’s joint military exercises’ static aircraft display held at Clark Air Base in Pampanga, Mahoney told a media briefing that …

  • ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’
    ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’

    The proposed grant to the chief minister of the envisioned Bangsamoro region of operational control over police forces in the area is consistent with the Constitution, a senior administration lawmaker said yesterday. It is clear in the proposed BBL that the Bangsamoro police will be part of the Philippine National Police (PNP), while the Bangsamoro Regional Police Board (BRPB) will be part of the National Police Commission (Napolcom) and will carry out Napolcom’s mandate in the region,” he …

  • Noy off to KL for Asean meet
    Noy off to KL for Asean meet

    President Aquino will arrive here this afternoon with Manila hopeful of support from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to achieve peace and stability in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) as well as economic prosperity and inclusive growth among the people in the region. Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Jose Eduardo Malaya III said that with respect to the dramatic developments in the South China Sea, Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman had called for the early …

  • Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food
    Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food

    After months of preparation and hard work from both the government and private sectors, the future of food is finally here in the country’s capital. Madrid Fusión Manila opened its doors on Friday to an international delegation who eagerly awaited the discussions of some of the most renowned and revered names in the culinary world. Madrid Fusión Manila is a historic gastronomic event marked by talks and exhibitions that showcases Spain and the Philippines’ shared cultural heritage, as well as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options