Barcelona wary of Granada, derby clash for Madrid

Barcelona full-back Adriano has said they won't be taking their trip to Granada this weekend lightly, despite holding a 12-point advantage at the top of the table.

The Catalans stretched their lead with a 6-1 demolition of Getafe last weekend and the Brazilian believes it is better to maintain that kind of form heading into their Champions League tie against AC Milan next Wednesday than rest players.

"We know we have a good advantage over Atletico and Real Madrid, but we cannot forget the league," he said.

"If we take our foot off the accelerator they will be there. We cannot stop. Every game we go for it 100 percent.

"We know we are entering the final straight of the Champions League, but we have an important match on Saturday," he added, with the southern side having beaten Real Madrid and Deportivo in the last fortnight.

"It will be a difficult match, they are in very good form coming off the back of two consecutive victories."

However, with matches against Sevilla and a Copa del Rey semi-final second-leg against Madrid to follow their trip to Italy in midweek, the 28-year-old accepts it will be a tiring spell for his side.

"The calendar is very difficult and this month it does not stop," he said.

"The truth is when there are more rest days between matches, above all the important ones, you are thankful for it."

Barca will be without David Villa on Saturday as he has been taken back into hospital with kidney stone pain, while Xavi remains on the sidelines despite returning to light training on Wednesday.

Granada welcome the league leaders in the midst of their best spell of the season with three wins from four games and, following their 1-0 defeat of Madrid in their last home outing, former Barca striker Nolito believes they can spring another surprise.

"We are preparing for a normal match. The same way that we prepared against Madrid or against Depor," he said.

"Football is 11 against 11. We can beat them. They have to lose someday."

Granada coach Lucas Alcaraz will have to do without Dani Benitez though as the winger has been ruled out for six weeks after undergoing a hernia operation earlier in the week.

Real Madrid meanwhile will try to keep up their chase of Barcelona when they host capital neighbours Rayo Vallecano on Sunday night.

Rayo did Real a favour when they beat Atletico Madrid 2-1 last weekend to reduce Atleti's advantage over Jose Mourinho's men to just four points.

And with Rayo riding high themselves in sixth place, midfielder Roberto Trashorras believes they can claim another sensational three points.

"We are going with the intention of playing a good game. We are not going to take it as lost and the first impression is that we believe we can win," he told the club's website.

"We need to try and play our football and go there full of hope."

Mourinho is expected to give Xabi Alonso a rest after he played through the pain of a back injury in Wednesday's 1-1 draw with Manchester United in the Champions League and Madrid are also without the suspended Alvaro Arbeloa, Luka Modric and Gonzalo Higuain.

Atletico meanwhile will be able to recall Diego Costa from suspension as they aim to win for the first time in six away league games when they travel to Valladolid on Sunday afternoon.

Malaga entertain Athletic Bilbao at La Rosaleda on Saturday, while Valencia are at home to struggling Mallorca on Sunday, and the meeting of Espanyol and Betis brings together two of La Liga's form teams.

Fixtures

Friday

Sevilla v Deportivo (2030 GMT)

Saturday

Getafe v Celta Vigo (1500 GMT), Malaga v Athletic Bilbao (1700 GMT), Granada v Barcelona (1900 GMT), Osasuna v Real Zaragoza (2100 GMT)

Sunday

Real Sociedad v Levante (1100 GMT), Valencia v Mallorca (1600 GMT), Valladolid v Atletico Madrid (1800 GMT), Espanyol v Real Betis, Real Madrid v Rayo Vallecano (both 2000 GMT)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. US Secretary of State John Kerry said Washington will never be deterred by "acts of violence" as the ambassador was rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options