BBC inquiry begins as sex abuse scandal grows

An inquiry into the BBC's culture and practices got under way with the broadcaster reeling from allegations of child sex abuse perpetrated by the late Jimmy Savile, one of its biggest stars.

The probe begins a year to the day since the death of Savile, the eccentric presenter now considered one of the most prolific sex offenders in British history, with some 300 alleged victims coming forward in recent weeks.

It also starts a day after 1970s glam rocker Gary Glitter, a convicted paedophile, was questioned on suspicion of sexual offences, the first arrest in the widening police probe into the activities of Savile and others around him.

Janet Smith, a former Court of Appeal judge, is heading an independent review into the British Broadcasting Corporation's culture and practices during the decades that Savile worked for the national institution.

Smith, who led the inquiry into the British serial killer Harold Shipman, will also examine whether the BBC's child protection and whistle-blowing policies are fit for purpose.

In addition, her remit includes the extent to which BBC staff were aware of Savile's conduct on the broadcaster's premises.

Meanwhile Britain's top police officer said complaints to various forces while Savile was alive could have been put together to show a "pattern of behaviour".

Scotland Yard chief Bernard Hogan-Howe told reporters: "You might have thought that people would at least have talked about it and intervened.

"It does look as if from time to time people have been concerned, they've made the start to intervene, but probably then they've relied a little bit too much on his reputation and his word that he did nothing.

"Probably it appears that people haven't intervened when they've had suspicions."

Ex-colleagues have said there were rumours about the bachelor throughout his lifetime, and seven alleged victims filed complaints to the police while he was alive -- though none led to his arrest.

However, an ITV documentary earlier this month -- which took its cue from a shelved investigation by the BBC current affairs programme "Newsnight", the subject of another independent probe -- saw a handful of women make abuse allegations.

Dozens have come forward since, triggering a crisis at the BBC described as a "tsunami of filth" by former Hong Kong governor Chris Patten, who chairs the corporation's BBC Trust governing body.

A former chairman of the BBC's charity Children in Need revealed on Monday that he had refused to work with Savile, whom he called "a pretty creepy sort of character."

"When I was with Children in Need we took the decision that we didn't want him anywhere near the charity and we just stepped up our child protection policies," explained Roger Jones.

Police are dealing with around 300 alleged victims and following more than 400 lines of inquiry.

Savile's abuse "possibly spanned 50 years", said Hogan-Howe.

The police, the BBC and other organisations "have had individual allegations that have not been put together to actually show that this person may well have shown a pattern of behaviour that's been pretty awful," he added.

Savile died aged 84 at his parkside penthouse in his home city of Leeds, northern England.

The claims against Savile have plunged the BBC into crisis and destroyed the reputation of a man who, with his garish tracksuits and ever-present cigar, was one of the most famous faces on British television from the 1960s through the 1980s.

Glitter, 68, was the first person arrested under the operation, being taken from his plush central London home to be questioned. He was bailed to return in mid-December.

The king of the glam rock era, Glitter -- whose real name is Paul Gadd -- sold more than 20 million records and had a string of hits like "I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am)" and "Rock and Roll (Parts 1 and 2)".

Glitter was convicted in Vietnam in 2006 of "obscene acts" with two girls aged 11 and 12. He served nearly three years in jail before being deported.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options