THE Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) said on Friday, December 27, that the fire that gutted the Star City in Pasay City was caused by an electrical malfunction, not arson.
This was the result of the investigation conducted by the Interagency Anti-Arson Task Force, according to BFP spokesperson Senior Superintendent Geranndie Agunos.
“Ayon sa investigation report, ang findings nila ay nagsimula sa ballast ng ilaw, electrical fire po at ang sunog ay hindi sinadya (it was an electrical fire, not intentional),” he said.
This ran counter to the statement of Pasay City Fire Marshall Superintendent Paul Pili which cited the possibility of arson, a suspicion that the owners of the amusement park disputed.
Agunos said it was the personal opinion of Pili.
“Actually, wala namang official report ang BFP at ‘yung mga nabanggit ng kawani ng BFP ay kanila pong opinyon ayon sa kanilang pagkakaintindi. Subalit ang official statement ng BFP sa panahon na ‘yun ay iimbestigahan pa kaya nasa ilalim na ng jurisdiction ng national headquarters,” he said.
At least 80 percent of the Star City compound, including the Manila Broadcasting Company facilities, were gutted by the said fire which broke out on October 2, 2019. (SunStar Philippines)