Ailing BlackBerry maker to cut jobs, delay platform

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion offered up a grim quarterly report Thursday showing deepening losses and worsening sales, as it announced 5,000 job cuts and a delay in its new smartphone platform.

The struggling Canadian firm said its loss in the quarter ending June 2 widened to US$518 million. It delayed until early 2013 a new platform to help BlackBerry compete with Apple and other smartphone makers.

The report was worse than expected and sent RIM shares, already at a nine-year low, tumbling nearly 18 percent in after-hours trade to $7.44.

The company, which has been hammered in the rapidly changing market now dominated by makers of devices using Google's Android software and Apple's iPhone, said it would cut jobs to boost efficiency and save $1 billion in operating costs.

The move includes "a global workforce reduction of approximately 5,000 employees, which is expected to be completed by the end of fiscal 2013."

To make matters worse, the company said it was delaying its new BlackBerry 10 platform, which had been expected later this year in an effort to drive sales in the key holiday season.

The new platform is widely seen as the last chance for BlackBerry to regain traction in the marketplace.

"The successful launch of the BlackBerry 10 platform and the delivery of high quality, full-featured BlackBerry 10 smartphones remain the company's number one priority," a statement said.

But the development "has proven to be more time consuming than anticipated" and the new system launch was put off until the first quarter of 2013, it added.

"RIM's development teams are relentlessly focused on ensuring the quality and reliability of the platform and I will not compromise the product by delivering it before it is ready," said Thorsten Heins, who took over earlier this year as president and chief executive.

"I am confident that the first BlackBerry 10 smartphones will provide a ground-breaking next generation smartphone user experience."

The company expects to incur restructuring related charges of $350 million by the end of fiscal 2013.

The figures for RIM's first fiscal quarter were dismal, highlighting its weakening position.

Revenues of $2.8 billion were down a whopping 33 percent from the prior quarter, and off 42 percent from a year earlier.

The company shipped 7.8 million BlackBerry phones in the quarter, down from 11.1 million in the prior quarter, and 260,000 tablets -- a drop of almost half.

The net loss of $518 million widened from the $125 million loss in the prior quarter and compared with a profit of $695 million a year ago.

Independent analyst Jeff Kagan said the report was "full of bad news."

"The numbers were bad. Worse than we hoped. And their next generation device which was expected this fall now won't be available until next year," Kagan said.

"Can RIM recover is the question we are now asking. They still have customers who love them, but they are simply losing business too quickly."

A survey by the research firm IDC showed smartphones powered by Google's Android software accounted for 59 percent of the global market in the first quarter of 2012, with 23 percent for Apple's iPhones.

That left just 6.4 percent for BlackBerry, compared with 13.6 percent a year ago.

In the US market, only around five percent of smartphone buyers opted for BlackBerry in the past three months, according to a Nielsen survey.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. During the assault, Kim screamed a slogan in favour of …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile
    Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile

    Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago believes granting Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile house arrest, while former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo remains under hospital detention, will violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution. “That’s already a violation of the equal protection of the law,” she said. …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options