Blame game: Cayetano points to MMDA for metro floods

Flooding in Taguig City and other parts of Metro Manila were not man-made, Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano said Wednesday.

Rather, floods were caused by the Metro Manila Development Authority for delaying the purchase of gasoline for its flood pumps, he said.

In a privilege speech, Cayetano said MMDA's Hagonoy and Labasan pumping stations asked for 28,000 liters of fuel each on July 28 in anticipation of the rainy season but it took 21 days to approve the requests, and six days to deliver the fuel, he said. By the time the fuel arrived, parts of Metro Manila were already submerged. The senator added that the Taguig Wawa pumping station asked for 38,000 liters of gasoline as early as July 16 but the request was only approved on August 8.

"The supplier only delivered 10,000 liters of gas on August 8. No report has been made as to whether the balance of 18,000 was delivered," Cayetano said, adding the Taguig City government had to give 2,500 liters of fuel to help keep the pumping stations running.

In a slideshow presentation he used in his speech, Cayetano showed a copy of a letter from Michael Doce, then chief of the MMDA Pumping Stations and Floodgates Division, to Edenison Fainsan, MMDA assistant general manager for finance and administration. In it, Doce referred to "delays and shortages" of fuel because the supplier did not complete the order.

Doce said the fuel was supposed to be delivered within two days of purchase, and instead the supplier "gave different alibis for their failure to deliver the remaining balance." He also said the supplier had been complaining of "swelling collectibles" that the MMDA has yet to settle.

The Hagonoy and Labasan pumping stations stopped operating on August 8 after running out of fuel, while the Taguig Wawa station failed because the stations were supposed to operate simultaneously, Cayetano said.

He said that if the flooding had been confined to Taguig, he would have let the city mayor--his wife, Laarni--handle it.

"Kung totoong mahigit P200 million ang nasira sa Taguig dahil sa kapabayaan ng MMDA, pwede bang tingnan kung bakit?," he added as he called for an investigation into the failure of the flood pumps.

MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino could not be reached for comment, but he already suspended Baltazar Melgar, head of the MMDA Flood Control and Sewerage Management Office. He said Melgar ordered fuel too late despite Tolentino already authorizing the purchase.

Also put on "floating" status were Doce, and engineers Glen Miranda, Peter Macabenta, and Alfonso Oliver, who were in charge of the pumping stations.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options