Compass

Oct. 24, 1901: First barrel ride over Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls had been a tourist destination for decades before 1901, but it wasn’t until Oct. 24 of that year that the first person decided to ride a barrel over the falls.

Former schoolteacher Annie Edson Taylor made the plunge on her 63rd birthday, hoping for fame and fortune. Taylor, whose husband had died in the Civil War, had traveled around the country taking various jobs before eventually settling on the barrel scheme as a way to avoid poverty in her old age.

She tested her barrel with a cat a few days before her trip. The cat lived, with minor cuts. On the big day, she had her barrel towed to the middle of the river and climbed inside with straps and a cushion. The air inside the barrel was compressed using a bike pump, and the hole was sealed with a plug. Twenty minutes later, her barrel was found at the bottom of the falls with her unscathed inside.

She achieved some minor celebrity but never the wealth she was hoping for. She spent most of her life signing autographs, working on a novel and talking about a second plunge.

Although Taylor was not the first person to survive a plunge over the falls – that honor goes to Sam Patch, who simply jumped over the edge in 1829 and lived – she was the first to turn it into a media circus with her barrel. Niagara daredevilry has been a popular stunt since then. From 1901 to 1995, 15 people went over the edge, and 10 of them survived. Most recently, Nic Wallenda walked a tightrope across the falls in early 2012.

Last year, about 8.7 million people visited the falls, but none of them went over the edge. Taking the plunge is now highly illegal, and survivors face stiff fines.

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Southwest transport terminal construction start still in limbo

    The construction of the country’s first intermodal transport facility is in limbo as both the government and the winning private concessionaire are waiting on each other before finally pushing through with the contract signing. Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said the ongoing titling of the project site for the R2.5-billion Integrated Transport System (ITS) Southwest Terminal should not delay the concession agreement signing, which has been indefinitely postponed since February …

  • Jesuit school confers honors on Deles, Ferrer, Iqbal

    Despite heavy opposition from the alumni and even parents of students, Xavier University – Ateneo de Cagayan conferred on Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Teresita Quintos-Deles a degree on Doctor of Humanities, honoris causa Wednesday. The Jesuit-run university also recognized the other major players in the ongoing peace process between the Government of the Philippines (GPH) and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) as it awarded GPH peace panel chair Miriam Coronel-Ferrer and …

  • Mobile market tapped for saleable items worth P21B

    With more than P21 billion worth of saleable items in Philippine households, online classifieds website OLX Philippines is aiming to tap this market by targeting mobile phone users who could be potential sellers and buyers of second hand items. OLX Philippines hopes to provide better support to mobile users with the OLX app since 50 percent of the website’s traffic is generated by mobile users. “We will soon become a mobile first company,” said OLX Philippines co-founder RJ David in a press …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options