The Inbox

Aquino last to know about canceled China trip

Photo courtesy of www.president.gov.ph

By Ellen Tordesillas, VERA Files

Early last week, President Aquino was telling everybody—from the Vietnamese defense minister to guests at the 2013 Apolinario Mabini Awards in Malacanang—that he was pushing through with his Sept. 3 visit to China.

The media reported the trip on Wednesday, and quoted the President saying, “Bibiyahe ho tayo next week. Mahaba hong biyahe sa China. Alis akong ala-singko ng umaga; balik ho nang ala-singko ng hapon. Ayaw nating ma-overstay ang welcome natin doon (We are traveling next week. It will be a long trip to China. I will leave 5 a.m., back 5 p.m. We don’t want to wear out their welcome).”

What Aquino did not know then that he was really not welcome at this time in China, which had already canceled the visit the previous week.

Sources say the President could have been spared the diplomatic embarrassment—or “loss of face,” as the Chinese would say—had officials in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Malacañang only acted fast enough and followed up Chinese efforts to arrange the visit, plans for which began more than a month ago.

Instead, the gaffe blew out in the open on Thursday. In response to the story that appeared in the media, Foreign Affairs Spokesman Raul Hernandez issued a statement by text message to the press.

“The President has decided not to proceed to CAExpo taking into consideration China’s request for the President to visit China at a more conducive time. On the part of the Philippines, we will continue to abide by our principled position that bilateral relations can advance despite differences,” Hernandez said.

In Beijing, the Chinese Foreign Ministry told Reuters, “China never extended an invitation to the Philippine president.”

In Manila, as early as Aug. 23, the Chinese Foreign Ministry had informed the Philippine government that Aquino was not welcome to visit China at this time.

The botched plans confused the groups that had been preparing for the President’s trip to Nanning, capital of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, where he was to attend the 10th ASEAN-China Expo (CAEXPO).

A contingent from the Presidential Security Group was set to leave for Nanning supposedly to work with their counterpart on security arrangements. The media had also started making travel arrangements. A business group, composed mostly of Chinese-Filipino businessmen, had chartered a Philippine Airlines aircraft for the trip and was supposed to leave on Sept. 2.

Amid the confusion, here’s what VERA Files gathered:

On July 17, Guangxi Governor Chen Wu, as part of his Southeast Asian visit to promote the Nanning Expo, visited Manila and met with Vice President Jejomar Binay. Chen told Binay that the organizers would welcome a high-level delegation from the Philippines, which was this year’s “country of honor.”

A source said Binay expressed interest to head the Philippine delegation. There was no commitment from Chen, however, as he was scheduled to meet Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario that day.

The meeting with del Rosario didn’t push through. Another source said Chen got instructions from Beijing to cancel the meeting with Del Rosario.

In diplomacy, “high level” refers to ministers or Cabinet secretaries up to the vice president. The President, the “highest level,” would require a direct invitation from the head of government of the host country.

Hernandez said, “The invitation was to the country, to the Philippines, requesting that we send a high-level delegation to the CAEXPO in Nanning. And since we are the country of honor at this time, the practice that the head of the government or the head of state goes to the CAEXPO in Nanning when they are the country of honor.”

Interior Secretary Mar Roxas headed the Philippine delegation to last year’s expo. At the time, Myanmar was the country of honor, and President U Thein Sein led its delegation.

On July 24, one week after the Guangxi governor’s visit, DFA Undersecretary for Policy Evan Garcia informed Chinese Ambassador Ma Keqing that Aquino would like to visit China.

This was the time that Malacañang was toning down its once strong statements against China. In his July 22 State of the Nation Address, the President did not mention Philippine territorial dispute with China, a marked departure from his past two addresses.

Philippine Ambassador to China Erlinda Basilio had recommended that Aquino visit China to rekindle once robust relations with Asia’s superpower, which were strained by a confrontation over Bajo de Masinloc, known internationally as Scarborough Shoal, in April last year.

The filing by the Philippines of a suit at the United Nations Arbitral Court questioning the legality of China’s 9-dash line map had further strained relations with Beijing.

China welcomed Aquino’s intention to visit China.

On Aug. 9, Garcia and Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Liu Zhenmin met in Hong Kong to discuss Aquino’s possible China visit including attendance at the Nanning CAEXPO on Sept. 3. The two agreed that Garcia would inform Liu of “feedback” so they could hold pre-visit meetings.

But Garcia never got back to Liu or to the Chinese Embassy in Manila.

On Aug. 12, in a diplomatic reception, Ma asked Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary for Asia and Pacific Tess Lazaro for development on the proposed Aquino China visit.Lazaro told Ma that she would talk to Garcia.

Two days later, Ma and Lazaro met again in another diplomatic reception. Lazaro told Ma that Garcia was in Bangkok and that the DFA undersecretary would get in touch with Ma when he got back. Garcia never did.

VERA Files called Garcia and sent him the questions by text but he never replied.

On Aug. 23, with only a little over a week before the event, the Chinese Foreign Ministry informed the Philippine Embassy in Beijing, through Deputy Chief of Mission Antonio Morales, that since there were no preliminary meetings on the President’s proposed trip to Nanning, China “can’t guarantee that it would be fruitful.” It advised that Trade Secretary Gregory Domingo head the Philippine delegation.

Four days had passed and the Chinese Embassy didn’t get any response from the DFA on its Aug. 23 message.

Worried about the non-response from the Philippine government about their Aug. 23 message the Chinese Embassy last Tuesday asked someone close to Malacañang to relay the message that China preferred that Domingo, not the President, head the delegation to the Nanning Expo. The message was relayed. Yet, the President still announced Wednesday afternoon that he was going to China.

Hernandez said China’s request for the President to visit China at the conducive time was officially relayed to Del Rosario, who was in Beijing for the China-ASEAN Foreign Ministers Special Meeting, by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi last Wednesday.

Asked if DFA had relayed the Aug. 23 message which would have saved Aquino the embarrassment of announcing something that had already been canceled, Hernandez said, “I don’t know the details but I understand Malacañang was informed at all times.”

(VERA Files is put out by veteran journalists taking a deeper look at current issues. Vera is Latin for “true”.)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Conflict to affect economic growth, stability in SEA’
    ‘Conflict to affect economic growth, stability in SEA’

    Conflict in the South China Sea can affect economic growth and stability in Southeast Asia, New Zealand warned yesterday, amid China’s aggressive reclamation activities in disputed waters. New Zealand is marking its 40 th year of diplomatic ties with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and hopes to intensify trade and other linkages with the 10-member grouping. ASEAN members Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam have overlapping territorial claims with China over the Spratly …

  • OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF
    OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF

    The Philippine government is asking the 57-nation Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to finally complete the tripartite review process of the implementation of the 1996 peace agreement with the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). The review – snagged  for several years as government had its hands full with the peace process with rival faction Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) – tackles how the 1996 peace pact with the MNLF has been implemented and centers on the three remaining …

  • Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe
    Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe

    Eight of the resource persons ordered arrested by the Senate finally attended the 21st public hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon subcommittee into the alleged anomalies involving Vice President Jejomar Binay, but the proceedings turned out to be a review of matters previously presented. For over three hours, the subcommittee heard presentations regarding the alleged hidden assets of Binay and the issue regarding the supposed P200 million in kickbacks he received from a deal between the Boy …

  • DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe
    DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) is wrapping up its investigation into the “massacre” of 44 members of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A joint team of prosecutors and NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) investigators is about to finish the second part,” Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has told congressmen. Pagdilao stressed that it has been more than a month since De Lima announced to the media that the DOJ would be …

  • APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism
    APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism

    BALANGA CITY, Bataan – More than 2,000 delegates of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and international media outfits are expected to enjoy the splendid coastline of Bagac town, which faces the West Philippine Sea, as they converge for a workshop in this province next month. …

  • DOST opens P54-M research facility
    DOST opens P54-M research facility

    A P54-million research and development facility of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) was recently opened in Bicutan, Taguig for scientists and researchers to develop technology and techniques to allow Filipino fashion and clothing designers and manufacturers to produce more mainstream products from local, tropical fabrics like piña, banana and abaca. Science Secretary Mario Montejo said the Innovation Center for Yarns and Textiles (ICYT) is the DOST’s flagship effort at reviving …

  • DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights
    DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights

    Philippine embassy officials in Doha have raised their concern with Qatari authorities over coercion and human rights violations in the alleged forcing of three Filipino workers convicted of spying to provide information and confess to the crime. Speaking to reporters, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Charles Jose yesterday said the embassy has raised the matter during several high-level meetings with Qatari officials and the national human rights committee in Qatar. “Our embassy …

  • US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl
    US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl

    US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told his Philippine counterpart on Wednesday that Washington’s pledge to defend the Pacific nation remains “ironclad” and called for an end to land reclamation in the South China Sea, officials said. In talks in Hawaii with Voltaire Gazmin, Philippine secretary of national defense, the Pentagon chief “reaffirmed” the strong ties between the two countries and discussed territorial disputes in the contested waters of the South China Sea, where Beijing has been …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options