The Inbox

Aquino upset by DFA statement on Malaysia’s human rights violations

Commentary

AFP NewsMohd Rasfan - Residents of Tanjung Labian flee their village, in the area where Filipino gunmen are locked …

By Ellen Tordesillas

In the press conference of Justice Secretary Leila de Lima in Malacañang yesterday on the arrest of 35 armed men from Sabah, she was asked why the government is quick on acting against the people associated with the Lahad Datu standoff and is not acting on reports on maltreatment by Malaysians of Filipinos in Sabah.

De Lima justified the glaring difference in their reactions to the fact the armed men believed to be members of the Royal Security Force of the Sultan of Sulu were intercepted by the Philippine Navy in the high seas of Tawi-Tawi with firearms and deadly weapons which is a violation of the Comelec gun ban.

She skipped the second part of the question and the reporter did not follow it up.

Reliable information we got from Malacañang explains why De Lima, formerly chairperson of the Human Rights Commission, kept quiet on the issue of gross human rights violations by Malaysia against Filipinos in Sabah.

A source said President Aquino was upset that the Department of Foreign Affairs, which got involved only in the Sabah issue on the third week of the crisis (Malacanang considered it a domestic issue and involved only the Department of Interior and Local Government and the Department of Justice), issued a statement last Sunday expressing “grave concern (on) the alleged rounding up of community members of Suluk/Tausug descent in Lahad Datu and other areas in Sabah and the alleged violations of human rights reported in the media by some Filipinos who arrived in Sulu and Tawi-Tawi from Sabah.”

The DFA said “The allegations are alarming and should be properly and immediately addressed by concerned authorities.”

The DFA pleaded for access to Filipinos being held “in several locations in Sabah but outside the ‘Ops Daulat’ area,” …to enable them to fulfill their mission which is to provide humanitarian and consular assistance to Filipinos who have been affected by the incident. This was rejected by Malaysia.

Malaysia only allowed Philippine embassy officials in the evacuation centers. Malaysia has also ignored Philippine request for a Philippine Navy ship to dock in Sabah to fetch Filipinos fleeing from abusive Malaysian authorities and the request for a human corridor to allow women and children non-combatants to use.

Take note that Malacanang that Aquino, who had strong words against Jamalulu Kiram III, never said anything about Malaysia’s maltreatment of Filipinos. It was only Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte who said last Sunday, in answer to a question, “these reports are unacceptable.”

Two days after, she followed it up with a requirement that the Department of Social Welfare and Development needs a “ written statement.”

She said media interviews are not enough. “Hindi lang ‘yung basta-basta magpapa-interview—pero ‘yung talagang magsasabing, ‘Ito po ‘yung nangyari, willing po akong magbigay ng statement at pumirma na ito po ‘yung aking nasaksihan',” she said.

One wonders why is the President, in the midst of Malaysia’s pambabastos (rudenesss), he is still so careful not to offend Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak.

The answer is in the announcement of Presidential Adviser for Peace Process Ging Deles and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front that peace talks, being brokered by Malaysia, will resume next week in Kuala Lumpur.

Deles has been quoted earlier that the Sabah crisis would not affect the peace talks with the MILF.

Over 60 dead and business as usual?

Check out these related articles:

Malaysia treats PH like dirt and Malacañang takes it timidly

UN appeal internationalizes what PH calls a domestic issue

‘Don’t play into Malaysia’s hand’

What to do with Sabah

  • Heartbreaking texts from students on sinking S. Korea ferry
    Heartbreaking texts from students on sinking S. Korea ferry

    Heart-wrenching messages of fear, love and despair, sent by high school students from a sinking South Korean ferry, added extra emotional weight Thursday to a tragedy that has stunned the nation. Nearly 300 people -- most of them students on a high school trip to a holiday island -- are still missing after the ferry capsized and sank on Wednesday morning. Mom, I love you," student Shin Young-Jin said in a text to his mother that was widely circulated in the South Korean media. …

  • Philippine leader apologises over 'world's worst airport'
    Philippine leader apologises over 'world's worst airport'

    Philippine President Benigno Aquino publicly apologised on Wednesday for failures in air conditioning at Manila airport, already named by an online travel guide as the world's worst. The fresh debacle at Terminal 1, used by foreign airlines, came as millions of Filipinos begin travelling for the Easter holidays during one of the hottest months of the year. The transportation ministry also issued a separate public apology Wednesday, on the eve of four-day Easter holidays in the Catholic …

  • PH, China, Malaysia negotiating hostages’ release

    The Philippines and China are now working with Malaysian authorities in negotiating with the kidnappers of the Chinese tourist and Filipina worker who were abducted from an island resort near Semporna in Sabah on April 2. Speaking at a press conference after the Putrajaya Forum 2014 in Kuala Lumpur where he delivered a speech on transnational and organized crime on Tuesday, Malaysian Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr. Ahmad Zahid Hamidi disclosed that Filipino authorities, in particular, are working …

  • PH grants visa-free privilege to 7 more countries
    PH grants visa-free privilege to 7 more countries

    Travelers from seven more countries can now experience how fun it is in the Philippines without worry, as the government extended them visa-free privileges. …

  • Pacquiao picks 17 as his PBA jersey number
    Pacquiao picks 17 as his PBA jersey number

    Los Angeles — If everything falls into place, Manny Pacquiao might end up becoming not only as one of the shortest players to ever play hoops in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) but also as the oldest rookie. Pacquiao, 35, had told The Bulletin a few days before he faced Tim Bradley in Las Vegas that he will suit up for Kia Motors in the PBA in October. “Number 17,” said the hard-hitting Pacquiao. Kia is one of three new companies whose application was accepted as a member of the …

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Heartbreaking texts from students on sinking S. Korea ferry

    Heartbreaking texts from students on sinking S. Korea ferry

    AFP News - 22 hours ago
    Heartbreaking texts from students on sinking S. Korea ferry

    Heart-wrenching messages of fear, love and despair, sent by high school students from a sinking South Korean ferry, added extra emotional weight Thursday to a tragedy that has stunned the nation. Nearly 300 people -- most of them students on a high school trip to a holiday island -- are still missing after the ferry capsized and sank on Wednesday morning. Mom, I love you," student Shin Young-Jin said in a text to his mother that was widely circulated in the South Korean media. …

  • Centipede Bursts from Snake's Stomach

    Centipede Bursts from Snake's Stomach

    LiveScience.com - 17 hours ago
    Centipede Bursts from Snake's Stomach

    A group of researchers stumbled upon a grisly scene during a field study in Macedonia last year: a dead nose-horned viper with a centipede's head sticking out of its ruptured abdomen. "All of us were astonished, as nobody has ever seen something like this," Ljiljana Tomovi?, a herpetologist at the University of Belgrade, told Live Science in an email. The remnants of the death match were discovered when one researcher, Dragan Arsovski, turned over a stone, Tomovi? The unfortunate nose-horned …

  • Philippine leader apologises over 'world's worst airport'

    Philippine leader apologises over 'world's worst airport'

    AFP News - Thu, Apr 17, 2014
    Philippine leader apologises over 'world's worst airport'

    Philippine President Benigno Aquino publicly apologised on Wednesday for failures in air conditioning at Manila airport, already named by an online travel guide as the world's worst. The fresh debacle at Terminal 1, used by foreign airlines, came as millions of Filipinos begin travelling for the Easter holidays during one of the hottest months of the year. The transportation ministry also issued a separate public apology Wednesday, on the eve of four-day Easter holidays in the Catholic …

POLL
Loading...
Poll Choice Options