The Inbox

Malabon’s forgotten evacuees

Click the photo to view video

Text and video by VINCENT GO, VERA Files

MALABON City—While evacuees in other parts of Metro Manila have gotten quick attention and assistance, residents of flooded areas in this city say they have been trapped in evacuation centers with little food, clean water, and aid from rescue and relief organizations.

Although floods have already become a part of daily life with waters rising when the high tide flows in and sometimes causing yearlong floods, residents were unprepared for the torrential rains brought about by the southwest monsoon last week.

People living by the riverbanks lost their homes and belongings, and are still squeezed into evacuation centers. Seventeen of the city's 21 barangays remain submerged in filthy floodwaters.

The only other time this happened was during the onslaught of Typhoon Ondoy in 2009. Arlene Fabelando, 26, who has lived her entire life along the banks of the Tullahan River, lost her home for the second time, the first during Ondoy. She is now at the Potrero Elementary School that serves as a temporary shelter to more than 500 families living near the river.

Jonabel Bascal, 25, narrates how it was impossible to go against the current to escape the rampaging waters as it was filled with debris. As the water rose early Tuesday, they had to climb to their roof and scale the high walls of the adjacent compound to escape the floods.

Fernando Diaz, 48, was already rebuilding his home from the debris he had collected. He has resided here since 1972, making a living as a construction worker earning P350 per day, if there is work to be had.

Living with the floods is already a daily part of life here, Diaz said, "When the tide rises we are submerged at about ankle deep water. When there is heavy rain, it's about knee deep. This was the second time we were forced to evacuate from our homes in all my years here along the river."

Informal settlers who have built their homes in Dulong Hernandez, Barangay Catmon, said it was really impossible to evacuate at the height of the downpour on the night of Aug. 6. The shantytown's narrow passages became a death trap as waters raged throughout the community. The only thing they could do, they said, was climb to their roofs, hope the water would stop rising, and wait to be rescued.

Several rescuers in rubber boats eventually came and brought them to the Catmon Integrated School currently serving as temporary shelter to more than 240 families.

The Malabon evacuees are pleading for help. They have had little food and almost no other clothes except those they wore when they were rescued. They also lament that so much attention was given to other communities, while nobody has even come to their aid after they were rescued.

Jenelyn Agas, 24, says this experience was worse than Ondoy, when the water subsided as fast as it rose, and they were able to start again after two or three days.

But with the deluge caused by the recent monsoon, they have been trapped for four days now at the evacuation center and have had very little food and clean water. Yet they could not return home because the community is still submerged in water.

(VERA Files is put out by senior journalists taking a deeper look at current issues. VERA is Latin for true.)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions
    Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions

    Indonesia on Sunday signalled it was determined to push ahead with the execution of eight foreign drug convicts, despite a growing wave of global condemnation led by United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon. Authorities on Saturday gave formal notice to the eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- that they would be executed by firing squad imminently, along with an Indonesian prisoner. The group have been moved to the high-security prison island of Nusakambangan, where …

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

  • Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions
    Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions

    Short of condemning China’s aggressive actions in the West Philippine Sea, a senior US military official said Washington does not support any act of coercion and bullying. “We don’t stand for coercion, bullying and aggressiveness,” said Brig. Gen. Christopher Mahoney, assistant US military director for  Phl-US Joint Balikatan Exercises 2015. At the sidelines of this year’s joint military exercises’ static aircraft display held at Clark Air Base in Pampanga, Mahoney told a media briefing that …

  • ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’
    ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’

    The proposed grant to the chief minister of the envisioned Bangsamoro region of operational control over police forces in the area is consistent with the Constitution, a senior administration lawmaker said yesterday. It is clear in the proposed BBL that the Bangsamoro police will be part of the Philippine National Police (PNP), while the Bangsamoro Regional Police Board (BRPB) will be part of the National Police Commission (Napolcom) and will carry out Napolcom’s mandate in the region,” he …

  • Noy off to KL for Asean meet
    Noy off to KL for Asean meet

    President Aquino will arrive here this afternoon with Manila hopeful of support from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to achieve peace and stability in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) as well as economic prosperity and inclusive growth among the people in the region. Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Jose Eduardo Malaya III said that with respect to the dramatic developments in the South China Sea, Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman had called for the early …

  • Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food
    Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food

    After months of preparation and hard work from both the government and private sectors, the future of food is finally here in the country’s capital. Madrid Fusión Manila opened its doors on Friday to an international delegation who eagerly awaited the discussions of some of the most renowned and revered names in the culinary world. Madrid Fusión Manila is a historic gastronomic event marked by talks and exhibitions that showcases Spain and the Philippines’ shared cultural heritage, as well as …

  • Family receives execution order, visits Mary Jane
    Family receives execution order, visits Mary Jane

    As Philippine officials continue to plead for a stay in the execution of death convict Mary Jane Veloso, the Indonesian government has sent a notice to her family ordering her execution at an undisclosed date, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said yesterday. Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said Indonesian authorities also allowed Veloso’s family and her lawyers to visit her on Nebu Kambangan execution island. “The Prosecutor gave notice letter to the family of Mary Jane …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options