The Inbox

Malabon’s forgotten evacuees

Click the photo to view video

Text and video by VINCENT GO, VERA Files

MALABON City—While evacuees in other parts of Metro Manila have gotten quick attention and assistance, residents of flooded areas in this city say they have been trapped in evacuation centers with little food, clean water, and aid from rescue and relief organizations.

Although floods have already become a part of daily life with waters rising when the high tide flows in and sometimes causing yearlong floods, residents were unprepared for the torrential rains brought about by the southwest monsoon last week.

People living by the riverbanks lost their homes and belongings, and are still squeezed into evacuation centers. Seventeen of the city's 21 barangays remain submerged in filthy floodwaters.

The only other time this happened was during the onslaught of Typhoon Ondoy in 2009. Arlene Fabelando, 26, who has lived her entire life along the banks of the Tullahan River, lost her home for the second time, the first during Ondoy. She is now at the Potrero Elementary School that serves as a temporary shelter to more than 500 families living near the river.

Jonabel Bascal, 25, narrates how it was impossible to go against the current to escape the rampaging waters as it was filled with debris. As the water rose early Tuesday, they had to climb to their roof and scale the high walls of the adjacent compound to escape the floods.

Fernando Diaz, 48, was already rebuilding his home from the debris he had collected. He has resided here since 1972, making a living as a construction worker earning P350 per day, if there is work to be had.

Living with the floods is already a daily part of life here, Diaz said, "When the tide rises we are submerged at about ankle deep water. When there is heavy rain, it's about knee deep. This was the second time we were forced to evacuate from our homes in all my years here along the river."

Informal settlers who have built their homes in Dulong Hernandez, Barangay Catmon, said it was really impossible to evacuate at the height of the downpour on the night of Aug. 6. The shantytown's narrow passages became a death trap as waters raged throughout the community. The only thing they could do, they said, was climb to their roofs, hope the water would stop rising, and wait to be rescued.

Several rescuers in rubber boats eventually came and brought them to the Catmon Integrated School currently serving as temporary shelter to more than 240 families.

The Malabon evacuees are pleading for help. They have had little food and almost no other clothes except those they wore when they were rescued. They also lament that so much attention was given to other communities, while nobody has even come to their aid after they were rescued.

Jenelyn Agas, 24, says this experience was worse than Ondoy, when the water subsided as fast as it rose, and they were able to start again after two or three days.

But with the deluge caused by the recent monsoon, they have been trapped for four days now at the evacuation center and have had very little food and clean water. Yet they could not return home because the community is still submerged in water.

(VERA Files is put out by senior journalists taking a deeper look at current issues. VERA is Latin for true.)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options