The president in high spirits on the day of his second SONA, July 25, 2011. (Jerome Ascano/NPPA Images)
President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III's second state of the nation address (SONA), the Philippine Azkals' game versus Kuwait's national football team, and the Smart Ultimate All-Star Weekend topped Yahoo! Philippines' trending searches from July 18 to 24.
1. SONA. Yahoo! Philippines users anticipated what President Noynoy Aquino would say in his SONA. When it finally happened on July 25, the president reiterated his policy against corruption and abuse of power. He cited his "No wang-wang (siren)" policy as a "the symbol of change, not only in the streets but also in society." He again enumerated irregularities in the previous administration, revealing that the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation spent P1 billion for coffee. Aquino also announced the appointment of former Supreme Court Justice Conchita Carpio-Morales as the new Ombudsman.
In the delivered entirely in Filipino, which lasted nearly an hour, Aquino said his administration may bring the West Philippine Sea dispute before the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea. He also cited the country's better credit ratings, a more stable economy, and a lower "hunger rate" among his administration's accomplishments.
Though the president got more applause from the audience in his second SONA, socio-civic groups expressed that they were disappointed with his report to the nation. They said he did not address reproductive health and teachers' salary, among other issues. The president also did not mention the freedom of information bill, which he promised to support during the presidential campaign.
2. Azkals vs. Kuwait. Netizens visited Yahoo! Philippines also searched for the results of the Philippine Azkal's first game versus Kuwait's Al-Azraq in the second round of the 2014 World Cup Asia playoffs. Held on July 23 in Kuwait, where thousands of Filipinos cheered for our national football team, the game ended in 3-0 in favor of the Kuwaitis.
Meanwhile, Amanda Coling, a contraceptive endorser and FHM model who studied at the University of the Philippines, also spiked on Yahoo! Search because of of the rumors that she was sexually abused by four members of the Azkals. Amanda has already appeared on television but refused to confirm or deny the rumors. She only expressed her disappointment for being pulled out of the FHM Philippines' "100 Sexiest Women of the World" event.
3. NBA vs. PBA. While football fans were excited for the Azkals game in Kuwait, basketball fans trooped to the Araneta Coliseum for the Smart Ultimate All-Star Weekend. Business tycoon Manny Pangilinan brought to the Philippines nine NBA stars led by four-time All Star MVP Kobe Bryant of the LA Lakers and reigning MVP Derrick Rose of Chicago Bulls to play in exhibition games with selected PBA players and the Smart Gilas national basketball team. On Saturday, the PBA team, which included James Yap and Arwind Santos, lost to the NBA All Stars. The next day, the visiting NBA players defeated the Smart Gilas, led by Chris Tiu, by only 10 points.
4. Shamcey Supsup. Reigning Binibining Pilipinas Universe Shamcey Supsup is currently preparing for the Miss Universe Pageant in Brazil on September 12. In a recent press conference, the UP-educated architect-beauty queen, who topped the 2010 architecture board exams, called on local government units to push for urban planning to prevent disasters. "We have so many policies, ordinances and laws on that. The problem is execution. I just hope that these laws are properly executed," she said.
Meanwhile, Bb. Pilipinas—Universe 2009 Bianca Manalo also trended on Yahoo! Search after she admitted that she's going out with fellow Kapamilya talent John Prats.
5. David Archuleta. "American Idol" Season 7 runner up David Archuleta delighted his fans during his July 18 concert at the Araneta Coliseum. The concert was part of his "The Other Side of Down Asian Concert Tour," which includes the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Malaysia. Before leaving for Ho Chi Minh, David had a request to the organizers of his concert: He wanted to experience how it is to be a Filipino by riding a jeepney. He reportedly wanted to wait on the streets and hail one, but to ensure his safety, officers of Sony Music decided to hire a jeepney for the 20-year-old singer.
6. Alden Richards. Kapuso tween star Alden Richards, the Amazing Male Newcomer of the first-ever Yahoo! OMG! Awards, recently admitted to having a "super crush" on FHM's sexiest woman Sam Pinto. Egged on by "Showbiz" Central host, John "Sweet" Lapuz, the 18-year-old actor who is now being dubbed as "Pambansang Dimple" (national dimple), asked Sam out on a friendly date. Luckily for Alden, Sam's answer was "Of course. It's a friendly date, so why not? That's a yes!" Alden and Sam two are both in the cast of GMA Film's "Tween Academy: Class of 2012."
7. Brian Viloria. Filipino-American boxer Brian Vilora grabbed the WBO Flyweight championship after defeating Mexican Julio Cesar Miranda via a unanimous decision after a 12-round bout in Hawaii last Jule 17. A few days fter his victory, the 30-year old Pinoy Pride flew to Manila to an overwhelming welcome.
8. Illuminati. Yahoo! Search logs were filled with queries about Illuminati, a secret organization of people claiming to have an unusual religious enlightenment, after international YouTube sensation Charice tweeted a denial that she is a member of Illuminati, "What's up with these news and people saying about Illuminati?! Again, I am NOT part of it. So just please, get a life and grow up. Thank you," she posted on July 20.
9. Kris Aquino. A week before her brother delivered his SONA, actress Kris Aquino expressed her disappointment over Makati Mayor Junjun Binay's answers in an interview with a newspaper columnist. Jun confirmed that he and Kris are going out, and when asked if he's open to marrying again, he said "Why do people marry? Because of lack of knowledge... Why do people separate? Because of lack of experience... Why do people remarry? Because of loss of memory." Kris felt that Junjun was alluding to her marriage with estranged husband James Yap. She tweeted that while Jun already apologized, "I guess it's truly best for us to just avoid each other so no more talk about us." They were, however, were seen seated beside each other at the House of Representatives during President Aquino's SONA.
10. Amy Winehouse. British singer Amy Winehouse, whose hit songs include "Back to Black" and "Rehab," was found dead at her home in London on July 23. The singer had battled with drug and alcohol addiction. An autopsy on her remains was inconclusive, but her family reportedly believes she died of a heart attack or a seizure. The Grammy Awards winner is the latest to join the so-called Forever 27 Club (or simply, 27 Club), a group of influential musicians who all died at the age of 27, which includes Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison, among others.
These trending searches are for July 18 to 24, 2011. Check out the previous Yahoo! Search Trends article, "Ravena beats Bryant on Yahoo! Search."