Ateneo Blue Eagles player Kiefer Ravena (Marlo Cueto/NPPA Images).
Ateneo Blue Eagles rookie Kiefer Ravena topped last week's trending searches on Yahoo! Philippines. Also on the list is NBA superstar Kobe Bryant, who visited the country twice this month.
1. Kiefer Ravena. From a scoreless first game in the Season 74 of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines, 17-year-old Kiefer Ravena rebounded in the second game of the Ateneo Blue Eagles men's basketball team. With 24 points, he led the Blue Eagles in defeating their longtime rival, the Green Archers of the De La Salle University. A former member of Ateneo High School's Blue Eaglets, Kiefer was possibly the most popular high school basketball star. Known as "The Phenom"and "the future of Philippine basketball," he was born October 27, 1993 to former pro cager Bong Ravena and former national volleyball team player Mozzy Crisologo-Ravena.
2. Andi Eigenmann and Albie Casiño. It was Andi Eigenmann's mother, veteran actress Jacklyn Jose, who announced last month that her daughter was four months pregnant with the child of Andi's first boyfriend who left her when he found out about her situation. This revelation sent Yahoo! Philippines users searching for Andi and her ex-boyfriend Albie Casiño. The former couple again dominated Yahoo!'s search logs after Andi's father, veteran actor Mark Gil, poured out his feelings about his daughter's situation in a July 10 television interview. His message to Albie: "You know what, boy, stand up. Stand up."
3. Negros earthquake. On July 12, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology recorded a magnitude-6.2 earthquake that struck at dawn off Negros Oriental. The quake was also felt in the entire province of Cebu and some parts of nearby provinces. Minor aftershocks were felt, but no damage were reported. Check out the latest earthquakes in the world on Yahoo! Search.
4. Jasmine Curtis. Yahoo! OMG! Awards' Amazing Female Newcomer nominee Jasmine Curtis appeared with her sister, Hottest Actress nominee Anne Curtis, and their father on the July 12 episode of "Kris TV." Jasmine is also JC de Vera's leading lady in a TV5 remake of 90s film "Ang Utol Kong Hoodlum," which featured Robin Padilla. The series will be aired in September this year.
5. Gerald Anderson. Kapamilya actor Gerald Anderson, who began his showbiz career as a housemate in "Pinoy Big Brother Teen Edition," is set to star in a new ABS-CBN TV series "Budoy" with Jessy Mendiola, who became popular in the series "Sabel," where she starred opposite the late actor AJ Perez. The new primetime show is an 'advocacy series' about mentally-challenged people, according to ABS-CBN. Last month, Gerald said his supposed basketball challenge with Green Archers player Simon Atkins — who was linked to Gerald's former on-screen partner Kim Chiu — was just a joke.
6. Philippine Navy ships. Yahoo! Philippines users got interested in the Philippine Navy's vessels after the news that the biggest ship it ever acquired would begin a three-week journey from California, USA to the Philippines. Now called BRP Gregorio del Pilar, the 378-foot Hamilton-class cutter used to be a patrol vessel of the United States Coast Guard. The Philippine Navy acquired it for around 450 million pesos under the United States Excess Defense Act. It will be used, among other purposes, to patrol West Philippine Sea, where the disputed Spratly Islands are located.
7. Kobe Bryant. Before Kobe Bryant and other NBA players' visit to the Philippines for the Smart Ultimate All-Star Weekend, the Los Angeles Lakers superstar was also in Manila for his five-city Nike Asian tour. On July 13, he joined the team of the Nike-UAAP All-Stars in an exhibition game versus the Smart Gilas national basketball team at the Araneta Coliseum. The Gilas players won. It was Kobe's third visit to the Philippines as a brand ambassador for Nike.
8. Rosario Uriarte. The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee summoned former Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office general manager Rosario Uriarte to its investigation on the alleged misuse of the agency's funds under former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. During the investigation, Uriarte, a close associate of the president-turned congresswoman, cried and invoked her right to remain silent. She and Arroyo face a plunder case for allegedly using PCSO's intelligence funds for other purposes. PCSO, the the country's premier charity agency, is under the Office of the President.
9. Vicki Belo. The country's most prominent cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Vicki Belo, and her younger and controversial lover, Hayden Kho, are back in the news after the recent announcement that they got engaged in December last year. Vicki's son, film director Quark Henares, initially expressed his resentment over the news and even threatened to kill Hayden should she cheat on her mom again. Quark and Hayden have since patched things up. Meanwhile, Vicki's groom-to-be insists on a prenuptial agreement.
10. Bernadette Sembrano. While answering her fans' questions on Twitter, broadcaster Bernadette Sembrano revealed she has Bell's palsy and is currently undergoing therapy. She posted on Twitter that she has physical therapy thrice a week, and acupuncture, massage and hot compress everyday. She also exercises three to five times a day. (More about Bell's palsy in this Yahoo! article.)
These trending searches are for July 11 to 17, 2011. Check out the previous Yahoo! Search Trends article, "Azkals and Volcanoes kick up Yahoo! Search."