The Inbox

Samar PNP operation yields firearms, wanted men

DILG Sec. Mar Roxas signed as witness in Samar's recent peace covenant. (Vicente Alejandro)

By Vicente Alejandro, VERA Files

CATBALOGAN CITY – Four persons, three of them murder suspects, and several loose firearms and ammunition were seized in a week-long operation of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Samar ahead of the elections.

The PNP in Eastern Visayas (PNP-8) conducted the operations in the hinterlands of the first district of Samar to confiscate loose guns and rid the area of private armed groups as part of the preparations for secure and fair elections on May 13.

Samar’s first district is comprised of Calbayog City and the municipalities of Gandara, Almagro, Pansanghan, Matuginao, Sta. Margarita, San Jorge, Tagapul-an, Tarangnan and Sto. Niño.

Region 8 Police Regional Director Chief Supt. Elmer R. Soria said the arrested men could have easily been tapped by unscrupulous politicians for their own interest in the coming elections while the seized firearms could be used for terroristic and other criminal activities.

The successful operation, he said, would help ensure peaceful and fair elections in Samar province, which is on the list of election hotspots of the Department of Interior and Local Government.

Police Inspector Romuel Nacar, PNP-8 spokesperson, reported on Thursday that combined elements of the Special Operations Task Group–Samar (SOTG–Samar) tracker team of PNP-8 and other police units had conducted the operation from Feb. 16-Feb. 20.

Nacar identified those arrested as Floro Diaz, Marcial Jalayajay and Zaldy Cagomoc, who have pending cases of murder and frustrated murder.

According to Nacar, Diaz was arrested in Barangay Camperito in Sta.Margarita, Samar on Tuesday afternoon. Seized from him were an M16 rifle, a Colt .45 caliber, five short and one long magazines for an M16 rifle with a total of 129 rounds of live ammunition for M16, one black 8-pocket bandoleer, and two hand grenades, among others.

Jalayajay and Cagomoc were arrested the following day in the vicinity of Barangay San Jose in Calbayog City. A fourth man, Junlex Cagomoc, was arrested for obstruction of justice during the serving of arrest warrants against Jalayajay and Cagomoc.

The police team also took in eight homemade shotguns that were voluntarily surrendered by five men in the hinterland barangay of San Antonio in Calbayog City.

The men and the confiscated items were brought to SOTG-Samar office, based in Camp Lukban in Catbalogan City, for documentation, further investigation and proper disposition.

(VERA Files is put out by veteran journalists taking a deeper look at current issues. Vera is Latin for “true.”)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options