Bocanegra backs Rangers to finish with a bang

Rangers defender Carlos Bocanegra has backed his team to bounce back from their Old Firm disappointment and end their torrid season on a high.

The Ibrox club, which is in financial crisis off the pitch, suffered more misery on it when Glasgow rivals Celtic handed them a heavy 3-0 defeat in Sunday's derby.

Rangers are still searching for a new owner after former chairman Craig Whyte placed the club in administration in February over a £9 million unpaid tax bill but their debt could total over £100 million depending on the verdict of a current tax tribunal case.

With the threat of liquidation and the possible loss of their place in the Scottish Premier League hanging over the club the mood in the Rangers camp is low as they prepare to face Dundee United at Ibrox on Wednesday.

But despite their loss to Celtic American international Bocanegra is confident his team can recapture the form that helped them secure four victories on the bounce prior to their disastrous trip to Celtic Park.

"We come back home now and we have a couple of games to prepare for against Dundee United and Motherwell.

"We'll want to do well in those two for our fans who have been great all year through these tough times.

"So hopefully we can return to winning ways and stay positive as it's a big week for the club both on and off the pitch."

Manager Ally McCoist will be without captain Steven Davis through injury while Kyle Lafferty has been suspended for a breach of club discipline.

Celtic face St Johnstone at Parkhead on Thursday night.

The Hoops clinched the Scottish Premier League at the beginning of April and hold a 21 point lead over Rangers, who were docked 10 points for entering administration in February, after their Old Firm win.

There had been some suggestions that Celtic's first title win in four years had been devalued because of Rangers points deduction.

But manager Neil Lennon dismisses these claims and says his side have been worthy champions.

"They have answered all the questions and showed they were worthy champions," he said. "We have lost one game in the league since October.

"There have been people inside and outside the game who've said that this is devalued but the only way it's tainted is if you cheat to win it - and we've done nothing wrong.

"We have played the best football, scored the most goals, conceded the least goals, and have the best disciplinary record in the league, so I think we're worthy champions."

Also on Wednesday, relegation threatened Hiberian take on Aberdeen at Pittodrie, bottom club Dunfermline, who are three points away from safety, are away to Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Kilmarnock host St Mirren.

On Tuesday, Motherwell defeated Hearts 1-0 at Tynecastle.

Fixtures

Wednesday

Aberdeen v Hibernian, Inverness CT v Dunfermline, Kilmarnock v St Mirren, Rangers v Dundee United

Thursday

Celtic v St Johnstone

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options