Bodemeister bucking history in Derby bid

Trainer Bob Baffert is counting on talent to overcome a lack of experience when he sends early favorite Bodemeister out on Saturday in the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby.

Bodemeister was dazzling in winning the Arkansas Derby by 9 1/2 lengths, but the colt did not race as a two-year-old and has just four career starts.

Such lightly raced horses have not fared well historically in the Kentucky Derby, the first jewel in US flat racing's Triple Crown. The last Kentucky Derby champion who was unraced as a two-year-old was Apollo in 1982.

Bodemeister's owner, Ahmed Zayat, relishes the challenge.

"Listen, it's daunting going against history, long history," Zayat said. "But if he does it, he becomes a special horse."

The 1 1/4-mile Kentucky Derby is the first of the trio of races that make up the Triple Crown, along with the Preakness and Belmont Stakes.

The last horse to complete the coveted treble was Affirmed in 1978.

Bodemeister drew the sixth post in the full 20-horse field on Wednesday and was installed as the early 4-1 favorite.

Oddsmaker Mike Battaglia admitted there was little to choose between Bodemeister and Union Rags, a Grade I winner who drew the fourth slot and was made the 9-2 second choice.

Unbeaten Wood Memorial winner Gemologist was the 6-1 third choice out of the 15th post.

"I haven't had two favorites this close since Street Sense and Curlin (in 2007)," said Battaglia, who has been making the Derby morning line since 1975.

"It was very close. Bodemeister's Arkansas Derby was huge. He got a big number, it was 10 points higher than any other horse on the Beyer (Speed Figures) scale, which bettors look at."

Union Rags trainer Michael Matz said he would have preferred a higher gate than five, but with little speed in the stalls around him, "I don't see why he can't go right behind Bodemeister or be right with him.

"Julien Leparoux is going to have to come and let him run a little bit, but I don't think that's the worst thing in the world. My original thought, I wasn't crazy about it, but the way everybody is, I don't think it is so bad," Matz said.

Trinniberg, the expected pace-setter, starts from post nine. The speedy Hansen starts from 14.

Twenty-one horses were actually entered for the race. My Adonis is on the also-eligible list and could get in if a horse scratches by Friday morning.

Creative Cause has had some hoof issues and did not go to the track on Tuesday or Wednesday but was still scheduled to run as of the draw.

The Aidan O'Brien-trained raider Daddy Long Legs had the misfortune to draw the first post.

The colt finished 12th of 13 in the Breeders Cup Juvenile at Churchill Downs last year, but O'Brien said that was due to a poor start rather than the dirt.

He has attempted to condition Daddy Long Legs to a US-style start, but while eight horses have won the race from the rail since the starting gate was introduced in 1930, the last to do so was Ferdinand in 1986.

When the Baffert-trained Lookin At Lucky broke from the rail as the favorite in 2010, the son of Smart Strike got slammed at the start and finished sixth.

Baffert admitted he heaved a sigh of relief when Bodemeister avoided the number one post.

"After Lookin At Lucky, when he got the one hole, the excitement just left me because I knew he just had too much to overcome," Baffert recalled. "I just didn't want to see (Bodemeister) in the one."

Still, since suffering a heart attack while in Dubai to run two horses in the World Cup card on March 31, Baffert says he tries to take such tensions in his stride.

"Ever since it happened, I've changed," said the 59-year-old Baffert, who also saddles Liason in the Derby.

"I don't get so worked up about something. Still, I get excited. I just realize that I've got this second chance. I could easily have died in Dubai. If it would have happened on the plane, I would have been toast.

"I used to worry about things that I shouldn't have been worrying about. If I can't change it, why worry about it?"

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • North Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    North Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two missiles into the sea on Monday and vowed "merciless" retaliation as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre rattling. "And if there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the North …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral
    China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral

    China is building some “fairly amazing submarines” and now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered vessels than the United States, a top US Navy admiral told US lawmakers on Wednesday, although he said their quality was inferior. Vice Admiral Joseph Mulloy, deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China was also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines, and their length of …

  • Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR
    Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR

    Malacañang is leaving it up to Congress and the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to consider a proposed special tax exemption for boxing icon Manny Pacquiao in his much-awaited fight with Floyd Mayweather. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday it will have to be discussed by Congress because lawmakers are the ones who enact tax exemptions, special or general. Pacquiao has been dogged by unsettled tax obligations with the BIR. …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options