FIVE days after the deadly landslide occurred in one of the mining pits of Carmen Copper Corp. (CCC) in Toledo City, emergency responders have decided to shift to “search and retrieval” to find the six miners who are still missing.
John Roseller Layan, Toledo City public information officer, said the search and retrieval operations began on Thursday, Dec. 25, 2020.
But as of Saturday, Dec. 26, the bodies of the missing miners had yet to be recovered, Layan said.
Still missing are Jose Carpentero, Jonwel Herediano, Simeon Laconas, John Paul Resuelo, Renante Sepada and Alfred C. Tautho.
The fatalities were identified as Junil Lagola, Ernesto Caspe, Juan Tapang and Dionisio Labang.
Meanwhile, Layan said the Toledo City Government will evacuate around 400 families or 2,000 individuals living within the 500-meter radius of the landslide site in Barangay Biga within next week.
Layan said they are now preparing the temporary evacuation center for affected families.
Aside from the evacuation center, help desks will be set up at the site to assist evacuees.
Layan said Mayor Marjorie Perales initiated evacuation efforts after geologists hired by the CCC informed them that new cracks found at the landslide site were getting bigger.
However, the cracks hadn’t expanded since then, he said, after they inspected the site on Saturday. (ANV / JKV)