Bohol quake as strong as 32 atomic bombs –Phivolcs

The 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit Bohol Tuesday morning was 32 times as strong as the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in World War 2, state seismologists said.

"The magnitude 7.2 earthquake is within the category of a major earthquake.. A magnitude 7 earthquake has an energy equivalent to around 32 Hiroshima atomic bombs," said Renato Solidum, director of the

Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs).

The Bohol quake was even stronger than the 2010 Haiti earthquake, he added.

Record-breaking quake

"Compared to the 2010 Haiti earthquake, that had a magnitude of 7.0, this one had a magnitude of 7.2, slightly stronger," he added. The earthquake that struck Haiti in January 2010 claimed over 300,000 lives, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

Tuesday's earthquake is also the strongest to hit Bohol in 23 years, the second having a 6.8 magnitude last February 1990, Solidum said.

Solidum said the 1990 earthquake damaged churches, roads and bridges in Bohol. It also triggered a tsunami since the earthquake occurred offshore, he added.

"(But) the earthquake this morning occurred inland so there was no possibility of a wave," he noted.

Solidum said the quake rocked the East Bohol fault found on the southeast side of Carmen.

The fault also moved vertically, he added.

At least 20 people were killed due to the earthquake that rocked Bohol and nearby provinces 8 a.m. Tuesday. The earthquake also crumbled historical churches in Cebu and Bohol.

Damaged national treasures

Meanwhile, he National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) is concerned over the extent of damage to the centuries-old churches in Bohol in the aftermath of the quake. The agency is calling on the public to stay away from the damaged churches so as to keep safe as well as to minimize damage to the structures.

“We appeal to the public to safeguard the national cultural treasures and important cultural property in Bohol. We ask that the public cooperate in preventing unnecessary incursions into the damaged sites to keep themselves safe from injury,” Angeles said Atty. Trixie Angeles, NCCA Legal Consultant and Vice Chairman of the National Committee on Monuments and Sites, in a text message to GMA News Online. — With Kim Luces/TJD, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's official KCNA news …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options