Boljoon starts to vaccinate barangay residents

·2 min read

THE Municipality of Boljoon, southern Cebu, has rolled out its vaccination program in the barangay level and urged constituents to avail themselves of the vaccines after the town logged one confirmed Delta case.

Mayor Merlou Derama told SunStar Cebu that while the town awaits details of the case from the Department of Health Central Visayas (DOH 7), he is certain that the infected resident had already fully recovered since the person’s specimen was submitted for genomic sequencing in Manila about a month ago in July.

However, to prevent the further spread of the virus, Derama said the Municipal Government has increased the Covid vaccine rollout by bringing the vaccination program to the barangays.

On Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021, residents of Barangay Lunop were vaccinated followed by Barangay El Pardo on Wednesday, Aug. 25, and South and North Granada on Thursday, Aug. 26.

Derama said he went around these barangays and urged eligible residents to get themselves vaccinated as soon as the vaccines were made available.

He also advised Boljoon residents not to believe in fake news claiming that the vaccines don’t work and could only cause harm.

“What’s important is that we all cooperate. How can I reach the target 80 percent if you don’t allow yourselves to be vaccinated? It’s better to get the vaccine now while it’s free. Time might come when you would need it and we no longer have vaccines left,” Derama said in Cebuano as he called on senior citizens and people with comorbidities to get jabbed.

Personnel from the Rural Health Unit (RHU) and barangay health workers have also been going house-to-house in Boljoon to spread awareness on the importance of the vaccines and observing health protocols.

Medicines and vitamins were also given to constituents having flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough and colds to prevent their health condition from worsening.

Derama said despite the presence of a Delta case in Boljoon, its Covid-19 cases remain manageable.

He assured that infected individuals and their direct contacts had been isolated immediately and given food assistance by the government.

As of Aug 26, one 20-bed capacity hotel converted into an isolation facility in the town has not been fully occupied since other infected individuals were allowed to go on home quarantine.

This facility is managed by personnel of Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office.

Boljoon logged a total of 25 active cases. 109 recoveries, 10 deaths and 144 total Covid-19 confirmed cases as of Aug. 16. (MVE)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting