Bolshoi ballerina quits Pushkin production in protest

The Bolshoi's star ballerina has refused to take part in a production of Alexander Pushkin's novel "Eugene Onegin" in a dispute over her leading role, a spokeswoman said Thursday.

Svetlana Zakharova, one of Russia's most famous ballerinas, "will not dance 'Onegin'," spokeswoman Katerina Novikova told AFP, in what media reports have suggested is a tantrum over her failure to be cast on opening night.

Zakharova was shown on television rehearsing for the role of Tatiana in choreographer John Cranko's reinterpretation of the 19th-century verse novel, but has now gone to ground.

She "is not at the theatre, and she is not picking up the telephone," Novikova said.

Asked whether Zakharova was considering quitting the theatre, Novikova said she could not comment, but added the ballerina would appear in the Bolshoi's upcoming London tour.

Russian newspaper Izvestia claimed Wednesday that Zakharova had stormed out of rehearsal after learning about the casting rotation for the ballet. The report said she was scheduled to dance on July 13 and 17, but not on the night of the premiere.

Tatiana is the novel's main female protagonist, who falls in love with the hero of the title, Eugene Onegin. Zakharova was to dance with American David Hallberg, her longtime dance partner.

On Thursday, neither Zakharova nor Hallberg were listed in the cast for any of the dates of the performance, but Novikova said that Hallberg will dance on later dates because he requires more time to rehearse due to his partner's abrupt exit.

Zakharova's protest follows a string of scandals in the historic theatre, notably a horrific acid attack on the ballet's artistic director Sergei Filin early this year. Filin has been treated in Germany for months, and remains at risk of permanent blindness.

The suspected mastermind of the attack is fellow dancer Pavel Dmitrichenko, who is currently in pre-trial arrest. His girlfriend Angelina Vorontsova has quit the theatre.

Early last month the theatre also dismissed its star dancer Nikolai Tsiskaridze after he called for the Bolshoi management to be sacked.

Svetlana Lunkina, a Bolshoi prima ballerina, last year moved to Canada, citing threats against her. The Bolshoi has said that her departure was likely due to the activities of her husband, who is being sued by his business partner.

And in 2011, the Bolshoi lost another pair of dancers when its stars Ivan Vasiliev and Natalia Osipova decided to leave the theatre due to its "limited repertoire".

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options