Bolt a legend with the X-Factor

Usain Bolt may believe he is now worthy of the legend tag and be on a par with Michael Johnson -- but he arguably surpasses the American because he can win and entertain at the same time.

The genial 25-year-old Jamaican achieved his benchmark of what a legend is when he completed an historic successive Olympic individual sprint double with an impressive win in the 200 metres Olymopic final in London on Thursday.

Many observers were happy to confer the 'legend' tag on Bolt after he successfully defended his 100m title on Sunday, but in his mind he needed gold in the longer sprint to seal the deal.

As ever he delivered on the big occasion.

He even took time to entertain, turning towards his training partner and silver medallist Yohan Blake as he crossed the line and put his finger to his lips. He seemed to be thinking: "Debate over - I am still the man in charge."

For Bolt had come to London after Blake, who took the world 100m crown last year when Bolt was disqualified, had beaten him in both sprints at the Jamaican trials in June.

Doubts seemed to have crept in.

But Bolt consigned those defeats to footnotes in history as he showed once again the big event brings out the best in him, first with a scorching run in the Olympic 100m and then in his preferred event, the 200m.

"It's what I came here to do. I'm now a legend, I'm also the greatest athlete to live," said Bolt.

"I am in the same category as Michael Johnson. I'm honoured. It's all about Michael Johnson for me. I grew up watching him break world records. He's a great athlete."

The American won gold in the 400m in the 1996 and 2000 Games and smashed the world record as he scorched to 200m gold in 1996 in 19.32sec - the same time Bolt ran 16 years later on Thursday night.

Unbelievably for someone who has already achieved so much, Bolt went into the Olympics with doubts surrounding whether he could repeat his electrifying sprint double from Beijing.

A modest season by his standards, fitness concerns and an early morning car crash all suggested a troubled champion.

But clearly the special atmosphere surrounding an Olympics sparks something in the 25-year-old from Trelawny.

After first hiding in the Jamaican training camp in Birmingham, the Bolt of old returned in a witty press conference on the eve of the Games.

Unlike other entertainers from the sporting world who fall short when it comes to delivering titles, Bolt has an incredible ability to be able to play to the crowd before a final, then focus on his race and blitz the field.

On Thursday, the post-match entertainment consisted of fooling around with the spectators in the Olympic Stadium and borrowing a camera to take a few snaps.

Athletics will be hugely thankful to the man who has done more to give the sport the global recognition it lacked as years of high-profile doping scandals sapped its credibility.

While former champions or world record holders either fell by the wayside - think of Tim Montgomery whose downward spiral ended with a spell in prison - Bolt has put big performances and a sense of fun first.

He has been criticised by some like Olympics chief Jacques Rogge for performing to the crowd before a race, but unlike them he has realised that athletics is an entertainment business and the crowd need to be brought into it.

"This is what I do. I've said it," he said. "A lot of people come out to see what I'm going to do today, tomorrow and it's fun for them.

"I enjoy showing them and giving them the joy I get out of doing this because they give me the energy to do it so I'm always hungry."

Rogge, an honourable man from a different generation to the majority of spectators who buy tickets when the Bolt show comes to town, prefers to call the Jamaican an "icon", believing you can only become a legend when you retire.

The sport's authorities, the meet promoters and the fans will be delighted that the man himself plans to stay around for a while yet.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

  • CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike
    CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike

    The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) appears to have released erroneous data on the allowed tuition and other fee increases in Metro Manila for the incoming academic year. On the list of the 51 approved higher education institutions (HEI) allowed to impose hikes, CHED pegged the average increase in tuition at P32.34 per unit and the average increase in other fees at P34.79. However, a Philippine STAR re-computation showed that the actual average approved tuition increases in Metro Manila …

  • Leni Robredo may run for senator
    Leni Robredo may run for senator

    The widow of the late Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo admitted that running for higher office in 2016 had crossed her mind. Camarines Sur Third District Rep. Leni Robredo said she is focused on her re-election, but there is always the possibility that she would seek higher office. “There is always that possibility… because the filing (of certificate of candidacy) is in October yet,” Robredo said in an interview after her speech during the 23rd Girl Scouts of the Philippines Council …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options