Bombs rock Somalia, as brokers warn fragile progress at risk

Bomb attacks in Somalia claimed by Islamist rebels killed at least eight people including two lawmakers Tuesday, as the international community warned that "spoilers" threaten the fragile progress in the war-torn nation.

A suicide bomber killed at least six people in an attack in the central Somali town of Dhusamareb as lawmakers met with the public, while a car bomb in the anarchic capital Mogadishu killed two, the latest in a wave of violence.

"It was an attack against the enemy," said a statement posted on a website linked to Somalia's Al-Qaeda-allied Shebab rebels, who have launched a series of guerrilla strikes and vowed to topple the Western-backed government.

The attacks came shortly after the United Nations, African Union and East Africa's main diplomatic body IGAD warned in a rare joint statement that efforts at establishing peace in Somalia were at risk.

The three organisations said they were "greatly concerned" at efforts to undermine a "roadmap" signed by Somalia's disparate leaders, the latest effort to bring peace after more than two decades of war.

"The roadmap continues to be jeopardised by the actions of individuals and groups in and out of Somalia, working to undermine the fragile progress we have collectively made in recent months," the statement read.

"We have come too far, and too much is at stake, for us to allow the process to backslide at the exact moment Somalia has its best opportunity for peace in decades."

In Dhusamareb, witnesses said a man entered a restaurant where lawmakers were meeting with the public to discuss the setting up of a regional administration, before blowing himself up.

"The explosion hit a hotel in the town and it killed several people, many others were also injured," said Mohamed Abudlahi Moalim, a senior commander with the Ahlu Sunna Wal Jamaa militia, which controls the area.

"The people killed are two lawmakers and four civilians... among the wounded are two other MPs," said witness Mohamud Ibrahim.

Witnesses of the car bomb in Mogadishu said the front of the vehicle had been ripped apart by the blast.

"I was driving behind the car...there was a big explosion that rocked and twisted the car, I saw the mangled dead bodies of the two victims," said Ali Abukar, a witness.

Somali leaders signed an agreement in September for the formation of a government by August 20 to replace the weak transitional body that has failed to bring peace, and is accused of rampant corruption.

Under the agreement, the latest among more than a dozen attempts to resolve the bloody civil war, lawmakers must agree on a system of government for Somalia's fragmented regional -- and often rival -- administrations.

Somalia must also adopt a new constitution, select a new parliament and convene the national assembly.

The Shebab, who oppose the roadmap deal, have been fighting for five years to topple the government, but under pressure from African Union and government forces they have retreated from their fixed bases in the capital.

However, analysts warn that the rebels, Somalia's most brutal, still remain a serious threat to international efforts aimed at stabilising the war-torn country.

The UN, AU and IGAD -- the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development -- said their statement was a "warning and a final opportunity" for those standing against peace.

The "unambiguous warning to all potential spoilers" did not specifically name any people or groups, but said non-compliance with the order would result in requests for sanctions from IGAD nations, or from the UN Security Council.

The trio would take "concrete action" in coming weeks if it continued.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Philippines accuses China of turning water cannon on its fishing boats

    Filipino activists denounced China's coast guard on Tuesday for turning water cannon on Philippine fishing boats in disputed waters, near where hundreds of Filipino and American Marines landed on a beach in a mock assault.     The presidential palace in Manila said China's coast guard used water cannon on Monday to drive away a group of Filipino fishermen at Scarborough Shoal, damaging some of their wooden boats. Chinese ships rammed a fishing boat in the area a few months back. China in …

  • Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash
    Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash

    Manny Pacquiao's face is on shirts, dolls and postage stamps, his life story is playing in movie houses and millions are getting ready to party as the Philippine boxing hero's "fight of the century" nears. Pacmania is sweeping the Southeast Asian nation of 100 million people ahead of the May 2 Las Vegas bout against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather to decide who is the best boxer of their generation. Of course, it's the fight of the century," Manila film producer Lucky Blanco told AFP. …

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options