Bong Revilla, Honasan to skip Senate probe on 'pork' scam

(Updated 3:50 p.m.) Despite being dragged into alleged anomalies involving pork barrel funds, Senators Ramon Bong Revilla Jr. and Gringo Honasan on Wednesday said they will not attend the Senate probe on the supposed misuse of these discretionary funds.

In a statement, Revilla said he will skip the inquiry out of "prudence," adding that he is also not a member of the Senate blue ribbon committee, which will conduct the investigation on Thursday.

He, however, said that he "fully supports the inquiry as all of the other investigations into the matter."

"Naniniwala ako na sa isang patas at objective na pagsusuri sa kontobersiya ay lalabas ang katotohanan. Those truly responsible should be held accountable and punished," Revilla said.

In a separate statement, Honasan said he decided not to attend the inquiry because the "Senate should focus more on the real issue rather than put on the spot the different personalities who are involved in the controversy."

Honasan also said he supports the Senate blue ribbon committee probe on the alleged pork barrel scam.

Last month, the Philippine Daily Inquirer identified Revilla and Honasan as among the five senators who allegedly allocated portions of their pork barrel funds to ghost projects worth P10 billion.

Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Ferdinand Marcos Jr.and Jinggoy Estrada were also linked by the newspaper report to the alleged anomaly.

Revilla, Enrile and Estrada were also identified in a recent Commission on Audit (COA) report as among the lawmakers who supposedly received excess pork barrel funds from 2007 to 2009.

Last week, Enrile said he is "ready to be investigated and prosecuted" in connection to alleged irregularities in the use of his pork barrel funds.

Public indignation over the alleged misuse of pork barrel funds has led to the largest protest under the Aquino administration, and has prompted President Benigno Aquino III to move for the abolition of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), the formal name of pork barrel funds received by lawmakers every year.

Jinggoy to attend

Estrada, meanwhile, said that he will attend the investigation, but did not say if he will subject himself to questioning.

"I will attend tomorrow's hearing and I will answer questions in the proper forum if ever I will be implicated," Estrada said in an interview.

Asked if the Senate is the proper venue for him to clear his name, Estrada said, "I don't know if this is the proper forum."

Marcos, for his part, said he has not yet made up his mind on whether or not to show up at the probe.

"I haven't decided yet on what to do... Let me just think about this first," Marcos said in a separate interview.

He also declined to state why he still has qualms about attending the congressional inquiry.

Chiz wants more witnesses

Senator Francis Escudero, meanwhile, called on the Senate blue ribbon committee to invite more witnesses in the investigation.

He said he particularly wants the Senate panel to invite whistleblowers of the alleged anomaly, as well as past and incumbent officials of agencies which reportedly transferred pork barrel funds to bogus NGOs.

"We only hear and read about them from the news. It is time we hear it straight from these people," Escudero said in a separate interview.

He identified the National Agribusiness Corp (NABCOR),

Technology Resource Center (TRC), National Livelihood Development Corp. (NLDC), Zamboanga del Norte Rubber Estate Corp. (ZREC) and the Philippine Forest Corp. (PhilForest) as among the list of entities that he would ask to be called before the committee.

So far, only COA officials have been identified as resource persons for the Senate probe. — KBK, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options