SINGAPORE — Two hotels at Resorts World Sentosa were ordered to suspend guest bookings for one month from Tuesday (22 December) to 21 January for failing to comply with safe management measures.
In a media release on Monday, the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) said that the two hotels – Beach Villas and Equarius Hotel – had allowed large groups to gather among their guest rooms, breaching the existing safe management measure of not allowing gatherings of more than five individuals in any guest rooms unless they are from the same household.
The two hotels will only be permitted to fulfil existing bookings for the duration of the suspension.
At least 15 individuals gathered in guest rooms
STB said that its enforcement officers found that at least 15 individuals had gathered in a two-storey villa in Beach Villas on 10 October. The villa was booked under four of these individuals, and only four of the 15 individuals were registered as guests with the hotel.
STB also found that the hotel did not take steps to conduct entry screening of these individuals such as temperature screening, and did not implement SafeEntry to ensure that they had checked in for contact tracing.
Meanwhile, on 17 November, STB also found that Equarius Hotel had failed to prevent a gathering consisting of 16 individuals to take place in one of its guest rooms. The guest room was booked under the names of three of these individuals.
Equarius Hotel had also failed to deploy staff at entry points to ensure SafeEntry check-ins and temperature taking for these individuals, and to ensure not more than five individuals had gathered in the same guest room.
Further investigations of the two hotels and individuals involved are underway, and enforcement actions may be taken.
10 hotels, hostels fined so far for breaches
STB said in the media release that 10 hotels and hostels have so far been fined for breaching safe management measures, such as failing to conduct entry screening and/or record contact details of guests that enter their premises.
It had introduced additional safe management measures for hotels on 1 December, following an increase in such incidents and in view of the upcoming festive period to ensure that group-size limits and entry-screening requirements are adhered to.
STB reminds businesses and members of public that the current group size limit of five individuals will continue to apply until Phase 3 of reopening takes effect from 28 December. Strict enforcement action will be taken against errant businesses or individuals, which may include fines, temporary closure and prosecution to the full extent of the law.
Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore
More Singapore stories: