Bosnian Serb defiant as UN court upholds convictions

The UN's Yugoslav war crimes court on Tuesday upheld Bosnian Serb paramilitary leader Milan Lukic's life sentence for murdering Muslims during Bosnia's bloody 1992-95 war and ordered his cousin and co-accused to remain in jail although with a lesser sentence.

A defiant Lukic smiled at victims and their relatives in the public gallery and made the sign of the cross shortly after hearing his appeal had been turned down by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia's (ICTY) appeals chamber.

The two cousins were appealing their 2009 convictions at the ICTY for killing Muslims in ways the court had described as "the worst acts of inhumanity" and "callous and vicious".

"Are you Chetnik?" one of the women representing victims in the public gallery shouted at him after the verdict, referring to the name Serbian ultra-nationalist paramilitaries gave themselves during Bosnia's bloody 1992-95 war.

"I hope your children turn in their graves," shouted the woman who refused to give her name.

Milan Lukic smiled at her before shaking his lawyer's hand and being taken away by guards.

The appeals chamber "affirms Milan Lukic's sentence of life imprisonment (and) reduces Sredoje Lukic's sentence of 30 years imprisonment to a sentence of 27 years," judge Mehmet Guney told the Hague-based court.

Both men had asked the court to reverse their convictions, and the prosecution had also filed an appeal seeking an increase in Sredoje Lukic's sentence.

The verdicts are likely to anger Belgrade further, coming in the wake of acquittals on appeal of General Ante Gotovina, Croatia's highest-ranking army officer before the court and the acquittal of former Kosovo prime minister Ramush Haradinaj last month.

The acquittals were hailed in Croatia and Kosovo, but met with bitterness by Serbs, many of whom view the tribunal as biased against them.

A panel of judges in July 2009 found Milan Lukic, 45, guilty of killing at least 132 Muslims.

Among other crimes, ICTY judges said he helped burn alive at least 119 people who were locked up by paramilitary fighters in two different houses that were set on fire on different days in June 1992 around the town of Visegrad in eastern Bosnia.

The appeals chamber found that in one of those attacks, known as the Pionirska Street fire, 53 rather than 59 people had died.

The court also reversed Sredoje's conviction for beating detainees at the Uzamnica barracks that was being used as a detention centre, thus reducing his sentence by three years.

Milan Lukic dressed in a black suit, white shirt and black tie, sat emotionless until the judgement was read, chewing on a piece of gum and occasionally reading from what appeared to be a prayer book.

Sredoje Lukic, dressed in a black suit, light blue shirt and dark blue tie, peered nervously over his glasses and looked at the judge as he read the verdict.

"For me and all my folks from Visegrad, for all the victims, our families, this is a rebirth", Bakira Hasecic, who says she was raped in Visegrad, told journalists outside the court, raising her arms in the air as a sign of victory and a large smile across her face.

"Finally, the Hague tribunal has shown why it has been set up".

In Sarajevo, Esad Tufekcic, 51, whose wife and two children, aged one and four were burned alive, told AFP he was happy that Milan Lukic's sentence was upheld, but "I'm not glad Sredoje's sentence was reduced."

But he said no sentence, no matter how severe could serve justice for victims who died in the fire.

"They killed women and children who died in horrible pain, (who were) burned alive.... No sentence could really serve the justice," Tufekcic told AFP.

Judges in the initial trial had said the two burnings "exemplify the worst acts of inhumanity that a person may inflict upon others".

Milan Lukic was a founding member of a group known as the White Eagles or Avengers that worked with police and military units between 1992 and 1994 to terrorise Muslim communities. His cousin joined later.

Milan Lukic was transferred to The Hague in February 2006 from Argentina, where he was arrested in August 2005 after being on the run for more than five years.

Sredoje Lukic, who was hiding in Russia according to prosecutors, turned himself in to Bosnian Serb authorities in September 2005, and was then transferred to The Hague.

Both had been on a list of 10 most-wanted Serbs.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. The President’s visit would boost relations between the two countries on all aspects including defense and security, according to Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary for Asian and Pacific Affairs Minda Cruz. …

  • CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike
    CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike

    The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) appears to have released erroneous data on the allowed tuition and other fee increases in Metro Manila for the incoming academic year. On the list of the 51 approved higher education institutions (HEI) allowed to impose hikes, CHED pegged the average increase in tuition at P32.34 per unit and the average increase in other fees at P34.79. However, a Philippine STAR re-computation showed that the actual average approved tuition increases in Metro …

  • Leni Robredo may run for senator
    Leni Robredo may run for senator

    The widow of the late Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo admitted that running for higher office in 2016 had crossed her mind. Camarines Sur Third District Rep. Leni Robredo said she is focused on her re-election, but there is always the possibility that she would seek higher office. “There is always that possibility… because the filing (of certificate of candidacy) is in October yet,” Robredo said in an interview after her speech during the 23rd Girl Scouts of the Philippines Council …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options