Bridge in Dumanjug now ‘passable’ to motorists

·2 min read

THE municipal government of Dumanjug, Cebu has lifted its order to temporarily close the Tapon-Tangil Bridge to motorists on Thursday, Dec. 30, 2021.

Dumanjug Mayor Guntrano “Gungun” Gica told SunStar Cebu Thursday, Dec. 30, that the bridge suffered damage after Typhoon Odette (Rai) ravaged the town two weeks ago.

Gica said they decided to close the bridge to traffic at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 29, as advised by the 7th Engineering District of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

“Gikaon na ang ilawom sa bridge. Ang half lane niya makita nato nga naglutaw na,” said Gica.

(The underside of the bridge had been washed away. We could see that half of the lane was no longer supported.)

Gica said the DPWH immediately deployed contractors to start repairing the bridge since they were given only three days by Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia to restore the flow of traffic in the town.

After hours of closure, the town received a letter from DPWH 7th District Engineer Danilo Villa that the other lane could now be used for vehicles.

“As per assessment with our personnel, the other side of the road is passable and safe for motorists,” Villa said in his letter.

Gica said the temporary closure of the bridge caused some minor delays in transporting relief goods for typhoon victims.

Meanwhile, Gica said around 5,000 houses in his town were destroyed and 11,000 were damaged as reported by their 37 barangays.

Barangay officials were also able to provide initial aid to their constituents and another batch will be given after New Year’s Day, Gica added.

Gica said the Cebu Provincial Government also donated 2,000 sacks of rice, 500 boxes of canned goods and four electric generators to their town to aid their constituents.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting