Britain's top court dismisses Assange appeal bid

Britain's Supreme Court on Thursday rejected an application by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to reopen his appeal against extradition to Sweden over alleged sex crimes.

The decision means the 40-year-old Australian creator of the whistleblowing website has exhausted all his legal options in Britain, although he could still take his case to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in Strasbourg.

Seven Supreme Court justices unanimously dismissed the application by Assange's lawyers as being "without merit", Britain's highest court said in a statement.

The court said extradition proceedings against the former computer hacker could not begin for two weeks.

"The Court has ordered that... the required period for extradition shall not commence until the 14th day after today," it said.

Assange's lawyers now have until June 28 to apply to the Strasbourg court to consider his case on the basis that he has not had a fair hearing from the British courts.

It is then up to the European court to decide whether or not to postpone extradition while another hearing goes ahead.

The court has the power to issue a direction to the British government that he should not be surrendered to Sweden if it decides to consider his claim.

If it decides not to use this power, British authorities must send Assange to Sweden within 10 days.

Two weeks ago, the Supreme Court rejected Assange's appeal against extradition to Sweden, where prosecutors want to question him about claims of rape and sexual assault made by two female WikiLeaks volunteers.

The judges rejected Assange's argument that the Swedish prosecutor who issued the European arrest warrant for him was not qualified to do so.

But in a surprise move, Assange's lawyers lodged an application to reopen the case, on the grounds that the Supreme Court's decision was based on a legal point that had not been argued in court.

Assange, whose website has published thousands of leaked US diplomatic cables that embarrassed governments, claims the sex in Sweden was consensual and insists the allegations against him are politically motivated.

He has said he fears his extradition would eventually lead to his transfer to the United States, where US soldier Bradley Manning is facing a trial over accusations that he handed documents to WikiLeaks.

The Swedish lawyer for Assange's accusers said last month he was confident he would be extradited there eventually.

Claes Borgstroem told AFP that although Assange was at present wanted for questioning over the allegations of rape and sexual assault, he expected an indictment perhaps within a month of him arriving in Sweden.

Since his arrest in London in December 2010, Assange has been living under tight restrictions on his movement, including wearing an ankle tag and reporting daily to police.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options