Murder weapon identified as Alps shooting probe stalls

Detectives probing a massacre in the French Alps identified on Monday the type of weapon used in the horrifying attack but there was no sign of any other breakthrough in the investigation.

A source close to the probe told AFP that only one weapon, a 7.65mm automatic pistol, was used to kill three members of a British-Iraqi family and a passing French cyclist on September 5 but Annecy prosecutor Eric Maillaud would not confirm this late Monday.

Progress on other fronts stalled however with one of the child survivors of the attack still unable to talk to investigators and the suspected discovery of explosives at the family's home near London turning out to be a false alarm.

The revelation about the type of gun used to fire two bullets into the heads of each of the victims followed initial analysis of 25 spent cartridges discovered at the scene of the murder and bullets retrieved from the corpses.

The high number of cartridges found had led to speculation that there might have been more than one shooter.

The 7.65mm calibre is one used in a range of "relatively old, even outdated", medium calibre pistols which are easy to conceal, according to Yves Gollety, the president of France's Chamber of Gunsmiths.

It has been used for automatic pistols including the Walther PP, widely used by police forces around the world, and the Mauser, developed for Germany's armed forces.

It was also used for Unic model issued to French police in the 1950s and 1960s and numerous weapons manufactured in the former communist states of eastern Europe, Gollety said.

Forensic specialists are able to establish whether different bullets came from the same gun by microscopic comparison of traces created by their passage through the barrel of the weapon.

This ballistic fingerprint may also help investigators establish where the bullets came from and whether the pistol had been used in other crimes.

Annecy prosecutor Maillaud said in a statement to AFP that "in contrast to allegations by a large number of media the Annecy prosecutor firmly denies that he has confirmed the nature, calibre and number of weapons used in the Chevaline killings".

Police in Claygate on the outskirts of London spent a third day searching the home of shooting victims Saad and Ikbal al-Hilli and a major development appeared imminent when British army bomb disposal experts were called to the house and neighbouring properties were evacuated.

After several hours of tension, it was announced that nothing hazardous had been discovered.

With the motive for the killing still a mystery, investigators are pinning a lot of hope on testimony they hope to receive from the Hilli's daughter Zainab.

The seven-year-old survived the attack along with four-year-old sister Zeena but remained under sedation Monday as she recovers from a fractured skull and a bullet wound in the shoulder.

"When the doctors give us authorisation we will be able to interview her in hospital but for the moment they are not allowing it," Maillaud told AFP earlier.

"She was in an induced coma which she was brought out of on Sunday but she remains under sedation."

Zeena survived the attack unscathed after hiding in the back of the family car but has not been able to provide any significant information. She returned to Britain on Sunday with relatives.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options