Aussie golfer Scott grabs lead at Open

Australia's Adam Scott flirted with golfing history at the Open Championship at Royal Lytham on Thursday before settling for a six-under par 64 and the first-round lead.

The 31-year-old from Adelaide, seen as one of the best players currently not to have won a major title, came to the last needing a birdie to become the first player in the long history of the majors to record a 62.

Instead, a wayward drive into thick Lancashire rough resulted in a closing bogey and meant that Scott was even deprived the satisfaction of joining the 25 golfers who have recorded 63s in major golf.

It was enough, however, to place him atop the leaderboard with the lowest first round ever fired in 11 Opens at Lytham and it matched the course record in Open play, the third-round 64 by Tom Lehman on his way to victory in 1996.

Scott finished the day alone in the lead, but he had a slew of major winners nipping at his heels.

One back on 65 were Scotland's 1999 Open champion Paul Lawrie and American 2007 Masters champion Zach Johnson, with rising Belgian star Nicolas Colsaerts joining them late in the day.

Brandt Snedeker of the United States was alone on 66, while locked in a four-way tie on 67 for most of the day were 14-times major winner Tiger Woods, 2002 Open champion Ernie Els, 2010 US Open winner Graeme McDowell and reigning Masters champion Bubba Watson.

They were joined late on by 2010 US Open champion Rory McIlroy, Japan's Toshinori Muto, Steve Stricker of the United States and Peter Hanson of Sweden.

World No. 2 McIlroy birdied the par-four 16th, where he drove the green, and 18th, after taking a double-bogey six at the 15th where his drive smacked a spectator on the head and bounced out of bounds.

Scott said that on the 18th he pulled a 2-iron slightly off the tee.

"It's quite an awkward tee shot with no wind, even. And just got myself in a bit of trouble and tried to be smart and chip out and chip on, but didn't quite hit a good third shot and left myself too much work," Scott said of his bogey at the last.

"But, you know, making a bogey here or there is fine. Making doubles and triples is what really hurts. So just getting out of trouble was good."

Scott was not alone early on in mauling the revered Royal Lytham links course, which first staged the world's oldest golf tournament in 1926 when the legendary Bobby Jones won.

With the fairways and greens unusually soft and receptive after weeks of record rainfall in northwest England, and no breeze to speak of wafting in off the Irish Sea, the layout was largely defenceless.

Until Scott went on his charge down the back nine, Woods had been leading the way at four under after just seven holes.

It could have been even better for the 36-year-old American if not for a depressing run of birdie putts from the eighth hole that went agonisingly close.

He dropped a shot at the 15th but still came in with a fine 67, which leaves him handily placed in his quest for a 15th major title, having waited over four years since he last won the US Open at Torrey Pines.

Woods agreed that Lytham had been at the players' mercy due to the gentle conditions.

"It was pretty soft. The wind wasn't blowing and we're backing golf balls up. That's something we just don't see," he said.

"So we knew that we needed at least to get off to a quick start on that front nine, and I figured a couple under would have been good.

"But I look up on the board and (Adam) Scotty is going pretty low and so is everyone else. I felt I had to make a few more and I was able to."

McIlroy said that he hadn't realised there was out of bounds down the right-hand side of the 15th.

"If he could have headed it the other way, it would have been in the fairway," he joked of his ball's collision with the young spectator's head.

It was a deeply disappointing day for highly-fancied Lee Westwood, who was out to become the first Englishman to win The Open on home soil since Tony Jacklin did so here 43 years ago.

Seeking his first major title after a long litany of near misses, Westwood birdied the first two holes, but then his normally solid iron play let him down as a skewed approach to the third ended in a double bogey.

The World No. 3 had four bogeys down the back nine which left him bemoaning his lack of touch.

Compatriot Justin Rose was another one who failed to take advantage of the benign conditions as he had a 74 while playing partner Sergio Garcia had a 72.

World No.1 Luke Donald, like countryman Westwood desperate to finally bag a major, had a quiet day, with one birdie and a single bogey at the last giving him a round of 70 and his best Open start in five years.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. During the assault, Kim screamed a slogan in favour of …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options