Brittany Murphy's body to be exhumed?

Brittany Murphy's body could be exhumed, according to the Los Angeles Coroner's Office.

The actress died in 2009 at the age of 32 and the LA County Coroner ruled it an accident the following year, citing a combination of pneumonia, an iron deficiency and "multiple drug intoxication".

However, Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter tells Radar Online if new reports of heavy metals in Brittany's system are accurate, her body may be exhumed in hopes of taking fingernail and hair samples.

"While we haven't been presented with the toxicology reports Brittany Murphy's father [Angelo Bertolotti] had done, if there was an indication her death wasn't from natural causes, we would probably exhume the body.

"Her father could also have the body exhumed privately and without a court order," Winter said.

Brittany's father recently revealed he had commissioned an independent report that showed the presence of heavy metals up to nine times higher than those deemed "high" by the World Health Organization.

Winter said his office would need a court order to move forward without Bertolotti's toxicology report.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office reportedly said earlier on Tuesday it could also reopen the investigation into Brittany's death if they were provided with "credible evidence" of a homicide, which Bertolotti has suggested.

"Of course, if someone, including Ms. Murphy's father, came to us with credible evidence that her death could have been caused by foul play, the office would investigate it - just as they would in any other case not involving a celebrity," a source within the DA's office previously told Radar.

Brittany's husband Simon Monjack tragically died five months after she passed away.

© Cover Media
Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Filipino on US most wanted list killed: rebels, military
    Filipino on US most wanted list killed: rebels, military

    A Filipino on the United States' list of most wanted "terrorists" has been killed in a firefight in the southern Philippines, Muslim rebel leaders and the military said Monday. Abdul Basit Usman was killed in a remote mountainous area while being escorted by members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), the nation's biggest rebel group, its vice chairman Ghazali Jaafar said. Security forces had been hunting Usman since he escaped from a January police raid that killed Malaysian …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Mixed; Indonesia ends 7-day losing streak

    JAKARTA, May 4 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian shares mostly traded mixed on Monday, with Indonesia and the Philippines rebounding after a recent bout of weakness. Indonesian stock index rose 1.3 percent after ... …

  • Philippines says Islamist militant was killed by followers

    The Philippines' most wanted Islamist militant, whose death at the weekend could boost peace efforts in the country's south, was killed by his own bodyguards in pursuit of a bounty offered by the United States, the head of the military said on Monday. Abdul Basit Usman, a militant with strong al Qaeda links who was blamed for numerous bomb attacks in the southern Philippines, had been hunted by security forces since 2002. "There was in-fighting among his group," General Gregorio Pio Catapang …

  • EM ASIA FX-Firm dollar, weak China factory survey hurt Asia FX

    * Won falls on weak exports, PMI; mkt wary of intervention * Rupiah down on bonds, NDFs; Indonesia's Q1 GDP eyed * Philippine peso lowest in more than a month (Adds text, updates prices) By Jongwoo Cheon ... …

  • Philippine military chief confirms wanted militant killed

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippine military chief confirmed Monday that wanted Filipino bomb-maker Abdul Basit Usman, who has links to the Indonesian-based Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist network and is a suspect in deadly bomb attacks in the south, has been killed. …

  • PSC sports venues deteriorating – COA
    PSC sports venues deteriorating – COA

    The Commission on Audit (COA) has noted the sorry state of the country’s sports venues despite supposedly receiving sufficient funds from the government. It reported that the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) got an additional budget of P626.563 million in 2013 alone but failed to maintain and upgrade the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex (RMSC) in Malate, Manila and the Philsports Complex in Pasig City. This, according to the COA report, is already a disadvantage to the country’s athletes. …

  • Taguig bettor wins P39.2-M lotto jackpot
    Taguig bettor wins P39.2-M lotto jackpot

    A player from Taguig City won the jackpot of the 6/42 Regular Lotto’s May 2 draw, the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) announced yesterday. PCSO general manager Jose Ferdinand Rojas said the still unidentified winner guessed the six-digit winning combination, 12-42-16-04-11-08, which has a jackpot of P39.2 million. At least 80 other players won P11,420 each after they guessed five digits of the winning combination. The 6/42 Regular Lotto online game is drawn every Tuesday, …

  • Tropical depression spotted off Mindanao
    Tropical depression spotted off Mindanao

    A tropical depression hovering over the Pacific Ocean is expected to enter the Philippine area of responsibility on Thursday and may bring much-needed rain to the country later this week, the state weather bureau said yesterday. As of 10 a.m. yesterday, the weather disturbance was spotted at 1,615 kilometers east of Mindanao with maximum winds of 45 kilometers per hour near the center, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said. PAGASA said …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options