Busay sidewalks cleared of 30 illegal structures

·1 min read

AT LEAST 30 structures that have illegally occupied the sidewalks in Busay, an upland barangay in Cebu City, were demolished by the Cebu City Government and the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

The team that led the clearing operations Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2022 was composed of personnel from the DPWH, Cebu City Transportation Office, Cebu City Police Office, and the Cebu City Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification and Enhancement (Probe) team.

Edwin Muit of the DPWH said three separate notices were served to the owners asking them to personally destroy their structures that had already obstructed the sidewalks but the owners failed to take action.

Muit said pedestrians were already using the streets since the sidewalks were occupied by the structures.

“They are obstructing the passageway, so if we don’t destroy the structures they built, pedestrians will start using the roads and it will be very dangerous,” said Muit in a mix of Cebuano and English.

The move is also in line with the vision of Mayor Michael Rama to achieve a Singapore-like status for Cebu City, he added.

Muit said more clearing operations will be conducted in the different barangays once proper notices will be served to the owners.

Rama has announced that there will be massive clearing operations to recover the sidewalks in the city that have already been occupied by different illegal structures.

The mayor noticed this during his series of “walk-throughs” in the city’s different barangays to see the real and actual status on the ground.