Business bigwigs keeping an eye on pork barrel scam case

(Updated 9:23 a.m., Sept. 19) Good governance is good economics. This leadership tenet has been echoed by President Benigno Aquino III's economic team time and again as key to spuring growth, attracting investments, and alleviating poverty.

Business leaders are keeping a keen eye on the latest government initiative against graft and corruption – long identified as vital to shoring up much-needed domestic and foreign investments.

While noting that significant inroads have been made against corruption, business bigwigs warn that efforts should not lose steam, as we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

“Without a doubt, implementing rule of law will improve investor confidence,” John Forbes, senior adviser at the American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines Inc., said.

Under the “Daang Matuwid” platform, the Aquino administration vowed to cleanse the government of corrupt officials.

But all this will come to naught unless prosecution gets a quick and convincing guilty verdict on those who deserve to pay for their dastardly deeds, according to a financial executive.



BDO Capital and Investment Corp. president Eduardo Francisco said this "doesn't mean much until the courts declare them guilty."

"Business sentiment is watchful and hopeful for a quick resolution," Francisco, former president of Financial Executives Institute of the Philippines, noted.

The latest cases against corrupt government officials and their cohorts also sheds a positive light on the campaign trail promise of then-Senator Benigno Aquino III in the run up to the May 2010 elections which catapulted him to the presidency.

The filing of charges "will convince the private sector not to be too negative," said University of Asia and the Pacific School of Economics Dean Peter Lee U. He cautions, however, that it's too soon to celebrate and that all eyes are on the case and its outcome.

Last year, the Senate sitting as impeachment court unseated then-Chief Justice Renato Corona for betrayal of public trust and culpable violation of the Philippine Constitution.

Now, the Administration is making legislative and executive officials face the courts.

On Monday, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, with the National Bureau of Investigation, filed plunder raps against the alleged mastermind of the so-called pork barrel scam Janet Lim-Napoles, three senators and two former members of the House of Representatives in the Office of the Ombudsman.

Those charged have been accused of profiting from the funneling of billions in pork barrel funds into supposed bogus NGOs.

De Lima noted that there are still more charges to be filed in the next two weeks.

Henry Schumacher, executive vice president of the European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines, shares this view.

“We welcome the filing of these cases and trust that the Ombudsman and the Sandiganbayan will do their share that justice is delivered without delay,” he said.

But a fast resolution seems to be a challenge. Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales has admitted it may take up to a year before formal cases are filed against those allegedly involved in the pork funds scam before the anti-graft court.

While the drafting of final cases are in the works, public clamor to abolish pork barrel are mounting.

At its recent meeting, Financial Executives Institute of the Philippines (FINEX) president Judith Lopez said the organization is for the abolition of the pork barrel, formally known as the Priority Development Assistance Fund.

A massive rally – dubbed the Million People March – was staged at the Luneta Park on August 26 as a call to abolish the pork barrel system. This was followed by the EDSA Tayo prayer vigil on September 11 and mobilization of several groups in Luneta on September 13.

Religious groups, meanwhile, are setting another demonstration on October 25. — BM/VS, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options