The butler did it... or did he? Vatican leaks row rumbles

The Vatican is hunting for the masterminds of leaks that have enraged the Holy See, with few believing the pope's arrested butler was behind the scandal, Italian media reported on Sunday.

Vatican officials confirmed Saturday that Pope Benedict XVI's personal butler Paolo Gabriele was arrested on suspicion of leaking confidential documents from the pontiff's private study after secret papers were found in his home.

His arrest was greeted with disbelief as the 46-year-old Gabriele was well-liked throughout Vatican City and known for his devotion and loyalty to the pope.

The Italian press has been filled with speculation that the butler, one of a limited number of people who have access to the pope's private quarters, was a pawn in a game of intrigue and struggle for power inside the Holy See.

"No one thinks the butler was capable of orchestrating the 'Vatileaks' by himself and so the focus is on a higher, ecclesiastical level," wrote the Corriere della Sera under the headline "Vatican braces for new arrests."

"Maybe someone set up the butler by placing the documents at his house or maybe he was executing orders from higher up. When you are loyal you are also obedient."

Last month, the pope set up a special commission of cardinals to probe the leaks, which began in January and have seen a number of private documents splashed in the Italian media -- to the embarrassment and anger of the Vatican.

The documents shed light on many Vatican secrets, including the Church's tax problems, the funding of Catholic bodies, sex scandals and negotiations with hardline traditionalist rebels.

Gabriele's arrest came hot on the heels of the sacking of Vatican Bank president Ettore Gotti Tedeschi, who has also been suspected of being behind the leaks.

Tedeschi was accused of failing to clean up the image of an institution that has come to symbolise the lack of transparency and the scandal gripping the Holy See's administration.

"Vatican hunts for accomplices," La Stampa newspaper said of the leaks. "Investigators are looking for confirmation, for evidence, for accomplices and a possible 'higher level.'"

A friend of Gabriele, who has worked at the Vatican since 2006, told the paper he believed the butler was probably set up.

"From what I know of him, he either suddenly became a madman or he fell into a trap because someone important convinced him to safeguard the documents," the friend, who also works at the Vatican, was quoted as saying on condition of anonymity.

"I spoke with Paolo on Monday night and he was saddened because a few hours earlier he learned that he was under investigation," the friend said. "Since his arrest I have been constantly asking myself -- if he had the documents and he knew that he was under suspicion, why didn't he destroy them?"

La Repubblica said a woman could have been to blame, splashing across its front page the headline: "The butler speaks, the Vatican trembles, the chase for masterminds: There is a woman."

"A woman is among the moles in the Vatican, a secular one who works for the Apostolic Palace" where the pope lives, it wrote, describing her as young married woman who also has a job outside the Vatican.

In March she accompanied Benedict XVI on his trip to Mexico and Cuba. She started working at the Vatican with John Paul II and was confirmed by Joseph Ratzinger, the current pontiff, the paper reported.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options