Cambodia shootings 'show worrying impunity'

The mysterious murder of a top Cambodian activist and a spike in violence at land and labour disputes mean the country's culture of impunity is worsening, campaigners and opposition politicians say.

Chhut Vuthy was gunned down on April 26 by a military policeman as he tried to expose illegal logging and his killer, apparently overcome by remorse, then shot himself twice in the chest with an AK-47, according to officials.

Human rights groups say the explanation smacks of a cover-up.

"For the past six months what we are seeing is more and more cases of extreme violence in land and labour disputes where arms are being used," said Naly Pilorge, director of local human rights group Licadho.

Thousands of Cambodians protested for better pay and conditions in the country's key garment industry in February, when a local governor allegedly fired into the crowd, wounding three women who work for a supplier to German sports giant Puma.

Bavet city governor Chhuk Bundith was merely charged with the low-level crime of causing "unintentional injuries" in late April, and has yet to be arrested.

The incidents are examples of what critics say is an increasingly brutal approach to rights campaigners.

Chhut Vuthy had been instrumental in helping the media document deforestation and logging, and two women reporters from a local newspaper were with him when he was shot.

In a written account, the journalists said they did not see who pulled the trigger, but stated they feared for their safety in the following moments when they overheard a soldier saying: "Just kill them both."

"This kind of violence is to be expected when rule of law completely breaks down and impunity for officials is an everyday occurrence," said Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director for Human Rights Watch.

Not including Chhut Vuthy's death, Licadho has documented five shootings in land disputes since November, with 19 people wounded, and said in each case military police acting as security guards for private firms had opened fire.

But Cambodian government spokesman Ek Tha rejected suggestions that campaigners or protesters were at risk.

"The royal government of Cambodia has no policy of violence, it respects the rule of law," he told AFP, blaming examples of excessive force by some military police officers and policemen on "individuals' activities".

Conflicts over land are arguably Cambodia's biggest problem, with ownership a murky issue after many legal documents such as land titles were destroyed by the hardline communist Khmer Rouge in the late 1970s.

Cambodia's government granted some 800,000 hectares (two million acres) in land concessions to well-connected private firms in 2011, according to local rights groups. The figure represents roughly five percent of the country's entire area.

A further 300,000 hectares have been leased this year already, they say, accusing authorities of a land grab, and the number of protests is rising. "Desperate people are taking matters into their own hands," Robertson told AFP.

In one of the worst confrontations to date, during the eviction of some 300 families from Phnom Penh's Borei Keila neighbourhood, locals threw petrol bombs at police, who responded with tear gas and rubber bullets.

Long-time Cambodia watchers said the January riot was the first time they had seen residents using Molotov cocktails -- perhaps an indication that protesters are themselves growing bolder.

Leading opposition politician Mu Sochua said the violence was a consequence of a "lack of democracy" under strongman Prime Minister Hun Sen, who has been in power since 1985.

Not since the 2004 daylight murder of union leader Chea Vichea has Cambodia lost an activist as influential as Chhut Vuthy, she added, accusing donor countries of "making no noise" in support of ordinary Cambodians' rights.

"I want to be optimistic, I want to see hope but I'm afraid there is no more Chea Vichea, and there is no more Chhut Vuthy," she said.

"They cannot be replaced. That is the aim of those who ordered the killings."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

  • CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike
    CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike

    The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) appears to have released erroneous data on the allowed tuition and other fee increases in Metro Manila for the incoming academic year. On the list of the 51 approved higher education institutions (HEI) allowed to impose hikes, CHED pegged the average increase in tuition at P32.34 per unit and the average increase in other fees at P34.79. However, a Philippine STAR re-computation showed that the actual average approved tuition increases in Metro Manila …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options