Cameron hits back after barbed Romney comments

Prime Minister David Cameron insisted Thursday that Britain would deliver a memorable Olympics after US presidential hopeful Mitt Romney backtracked on barbed comments he made about the London Games.

With excitement mounting on the eve of the opening ceremony, Prince William, his wife Catherine and Prince Harry welcomed the torch to Buckingham Palace where tens of thousands of spectators had gathered.

But Romney, in London to attend Friday's opening of the Games, said the preparations had been "disconcerting", pointing to the failure of a private security contractor to provide the number of guards it had promised.

The Republican candidate also wondered aloud whether the British public would get behind the first Games to be held here since 1948.

On the eve of the Olympics, Cameron said security "matters more than anything else", and said he was convinced the Games would prove that Britain could stage a world-class event.

Cameron also said he was sure Britons would get behind the Games despite an economic downturn -- and took an apparent swipe at Romney's past as head of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

"We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world," Cameron said.

"Of course it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere."

Cameron said he would take personal responsibility for the security of the Games, which are guarded by Britain's biggest ever peacetime force.

Britain has deployed an additional 4,700 troops in recent days to make up the shortfall in guards supplied by giant contractor G4S, taking the total military deployment to 18,200.

Romney told NBC News on Wednesday that "the stories about the private security firm not having enough people, the supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials -- that obviously is not something which is encouraging".

It was "hard to know just how well it will turn out", he added.

But he struck a more diplomatic note after talks with Cameron later.

"I am very delighted with the prospects of a highly successful Olympic Games," Romney said.

"What I have seen shows imagination and forethought and a lot of organisation. I expect the Games to be highly successful."

The US team meanwhile seemed happy with the conditions in London.

"Our experience has been nothing but positive," said Scott Blackmun, US Olympic Committee chief executive officer.

"We're not seeing any indication of anything less than great enthusiasm from people on the street."

The rising excitement was displayed at Buckingham Palace where thousands cheered on charity worker Wai-Ming Lee as he picked up the torch under the gaze of Prince William.

Lee, 38, said the experience "was exhilarating and over too soon" and revealed that Prince William had joked to him "don't drop it".

However, spirits were later dampened when Great Britain's footballers conceded a late goal in their opening match of the Games against Senegal.

Craig Bellamy had put the hosts into an early lead, but Moussa Konate struck in the 82nd minute to ensure the spoils were shared.

Meanwhile, the Games was rocked by a doping scandal after Greece's world indoor high jump champion Dimitris Chondrokoukis was barred for failing a drugs test.

His coach and father Kyriakos Chondrokoukis said his son had tested positive for stanozolol, the steroid used by disgraced sprinter Ben Johnson at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

Meanwhile, Games organisers tried to downplay a mix-up which saw North Korea's women football team walk off the pitch in an embarrassing start to the competitive action at the Games.

The International Olympic Committee apologised to the North Korean delegation after its players were shown on giant screens next to South Korea's flag, at their opener against Colombia on Wednesday at Hampden Park in Glasgow.

IOC president Jacques Rogge described the incident as "most unfortunate".

"This was an honest mistake, honestly made," Cameron said."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl, Japan sign P9.6-B ODA projects
    Phl, Japan sign P9.6-B ODA projects

    The Philippines and Japan have signed agreements for six official development assistance (ODA) projects amounting to 22.289 billion yen or around P9.6 billion. …

  • Commission to launch glossary of Pinoy meteorological terms
    Commission to launch glossary of Pinoy meteorological terms

    The Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino (KWF) will release a glossary of meteorological terms in Filipino to help the Filipino people better understand weather forecasts and instill disaster awareness among them. National Artist for Literature and KWF president Virgilio Almario said yesterday the KWF produced the glossary titled Patnubay sa Weder Forkast to simplify scientific terms used in the weather bulletins of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration …

  • Divorce bill good scapegoat for couples – CBCP
    Divorce bill good scapegoat for couples – CBCP

    Contrary to what romance novel writers would want their readers to believe, there are no perfect marriages in the real world. This was according to Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) president Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas. In a statement titled “CBCP Position Against the Divorce Bill and Against the Decriminalization of Adultery and Concubinage,” Villegas said that while it is not easy to make relationships last, learning how to work out differences – and …

  • DND holds off infra dev’t in Pag-Asa
    DND holds off infra dev’t in Pag-Asa

    The defense department is holding off repairs and other planned infrastructure projects on Pag-Asa Island, one of seven islets and two reefs occupied by Filipino troops in the disputed Spratly Islands. Earlier, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario pointed out that the maintenance and repair of facilities in Pag-Asa Island are not covered by the Declaration of Conduct (DOC) of parties involved in the West Philippine Sea territorial disputes. “Repair and maintenance is okay but before …

  • Blackout to hit 5 Aurora towns
    Blackout to hit 5 Aurora towns

    An 11-hour power outage will hit five towns in Aurora on Tuesday, the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) announced yesterday. The NGCP said Baler, Dingalan, San Luis, Ma. Aurora and Dipaculao would be affected by the blackout. The NGCP said parts of Nueva Ecija and Aurora were hit by a power interruption yesterday due to the tripping of the Cabanatuan-Baler 69kV line. …

  • Rules set for climate change programs
    Rules set for climate change programs

    The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) and the Climate Change Commission (CCC) have released the revised guidelines to track and monitor climate change adaptation programs of the government. “The government of the Philippines has demonstrated leadership and strong commitment in implementing a comprehensive reform agenda to respond to climate change,” read the joint memorandum circular published in The STAR yesterday. “With the goal of using the budget process to plan, prioritize and …

  • It’s time to move on– Speaker
    It’s time to move on– Speaker

    The nation can now move on as President Aquino has satisfactorily explained his side on the Mamasapano incident for which he even begged for understanding, lawmakers led by Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. “It’s time to move on,” Belmonte said in reaction to Aquino’s pronouncements made before new police graduates at the Philippine National Police Academy (PNPA) last Thursday. The President has spoken far too much about what he knows and about his limited involvement in the …

  • ToyotaPH continues it’s strong sales in February
    ToyotaPH continues it’s strong sales in February

    Toyota Motor Philippines (TMP) sustains its strong sales in its February performance. Toyota’s strong performance last month was due to the  high demand of the Vios, with sales of 2,012 units and of course the rest of Toyota’s line up such as the Fortuner, Innova, Wigo, Hilux, Avanza and Corolla Altis. Toyota’s luxury brand, Lexus, recorded 60 units last month. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options