'Canadian Psycho' suspect will not challenge extradition

A porn actor dubbed the "Canadian Psycho" for allegedly killing and chopping up another man was taken to a Berlin prison Tuesday after telling a judge he would not fight his extradition from Germany.

Luka Rocco Magnotta, 29, was arrested Monday at a Berlin Internet cafe on suspicion he murdered a 33-year-old Chinese student in Canada last month with an ice pick and hacked apart his body while filming the grisly killing.

"He has been before the judge, who has confirmed the arrest," Martin Steltner, a spokesman for the Berlin public prosecutor's office said, the day after Magnotta's capture in the German capital following a days-long global manhunt.

"He said he would not fight the extradition," Steltner added.

The case came to light after body parts were mailed to political party offices in Ottawa, triggering an international search that started in Montreal and shifted to Paris before ending in dramatic fashion in Berlin.

Magnotta was driven to the imposing red-brick Moabit prison in central Berlin in a police van past a dozen or so waiting reporters.

German authorities have asked Canada to provide the necessary documents for Magnotta's extradition.

As soon as they arrive, a judge will rule on sending Magnotta back to Canada, Steltner said ahead of the hearing, adding that the procedure normally takes several days.

"We will see what the extradition process will bring," he said, adding it "will be easier and will be faster" now that Magnotta has said he would not fight it.

He noted, however, that Magnotta could still change his mind.

German police faced little resistance when they picked the suspect up in Neukoelln, a working-class district of the capital, after a tip-off.

He initially tried to give a false identity before conceding simply, "You got me," Steltner said.

A video from the cafe's security camera circulating on German media showed police leading a suspect wearing sunglasses and a dark hooded jacket with his hands handcuffed behind his back out of the cafe.

The cafe owner, Kadir Anlayisli, told German television station NTV: "'That's him,' I said. 100 percent that's him. So I went outside and stopped a police car and said: 'There's someone sitting in there that looks like the porno-killer'."

Before the hearing, Steltner had said there was no evidence the suspect had committed any crime in Germany and that investigators did not know exactly what he was doing in Berlin following his arrival on Friday by bus from Paris.

"Canadian and German authorities are working together and legal representatives too," a spokeswoman for the Canadian embassy in Berlin said, declining further comment.

Initial reports said the victim, Lin Jun, was Magnotta's lover, but Chinese media reports Tuesday quoted Lin's friends as saying they were not in a relationship.

Magnotta, also dubbed the "Butcher of Montreal", has been wanted since last week when Lin's severed hand and foot were sent by mail to Conservative and Liberal party offices.

Lin's torso was found in a suitcase left for garbage collection outside Magnotta's Montreal apartment.

Montreal police said Monday that Magnotta may be responsible for other unsolved crimes.

"When we are faced with this kind of individual, we think of other crimes," police spokesman Ian Lafreniere told reporters.

Interpol had issued a Red Notice wanted-persons alert for Magnotta, also known as Eric Clinton Newman and Vladimir Romanov, to its 190 member countries after a video purportedly showing the gruesome murder surfaced online.

In the video, which Canadian police have reportedly said shows the crime, a man repeatedly stabs another man with an ice pick and dismembers him, as a song from the soundtrack of the film "American Psycho" plays in the background.

Canadian investigators said Magnotta boarded a France-bound plane on May 26 in Montreal.

Two passengers who said they sat next to him on the six-hour flight told French radio he had appeared nervous and was crying.

"He was nervous during the flight. He was clearly hiding his face," one passenger said.

"At one he point he disappeared and I got worried -- we're all a bit paranoid on flights -- and I thought, 'He's put a bomb in the toilets.'"

With the help of Magnotta's cell phone signal, police traced him to a hotel in the Parisian suburb of Bagnolet, a French police source said.

The hunt then turned Monday to an international bus station in Paris where video surveillance footage showed he had boarded a bus to Germany.

Magnotta travelled to Berlin from Paris under a false name, Tramell, French police said.

Catherine Tramell was the main character in the 1992 film "Basic Instinct". Played by Sharon Stone, she uses an ice pick to murder a lover.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options