Over a week after he mauled a traffic enforcer, a remorseful Robert Blair Carabuena voluntarily went to the Metro Manila Development Authority office to seek forgiveness.
In his tweet, Yves Gonzales, head of the MMDA traffic disclipline office said Carabuena made the public apology at the enforcers' turf.
"Robert Blair Carabuena delivering a public apology here at the MMDA Main Office," he said Thursday.
In his speech, aired over AksyonTV, Carabuena repeatedly asked for forgiveness.
"Di na po lingid sa karamihan ang aking di kagandahang asal noon ika-11 ng Agosto. Sa iyo Mang Sonny, at sa iyong anim na anak, ako po ay humihingi ng inyong kapatawaran," Carabuena said.
Mauled traffic enforcer Saturnino Fabros was apparently not in the vicinity at the time of his speech.
"Ako po sana'y mabigyan ng pangalawang pagkakataon at personal na makahingi ng paumanhin kay Mang sonny," Carabuena added.
The Philip Morris employee admitted his wrongdoing and bared that he had a hard time last week due to the online and offline criticisms he had to endure.
"Naramdaman ko po ang galit ng publiko, kaya minabuti ko pong manatili muna sa aking tahanan at humingi ng payo, sa pamilya, mga kaibigan, pati na rin sa abogado," Carabuena said.
After making the apology, Carabuena also appealed to MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino to still be allowed to drive amid a license revocation request at the Land Transportation Office.
"Ako po ay nakikiusap kay Chairman Tolentino na pahintulutang umusad ang proseso ng pagkansela ng aking lisensiya. At habang ang prosesong ito ay umuusad, ako po ay nakikiusap na ako po ay payagan na tuluyang makapagmaneho sa dahilan na ito ay aking kailangan ko sa paghahanapbuhay," he said.
Gonzales said that despite the apology, Tolentino is firm in pushing for the direct assault case. Fabros filed the charges last week after Carabuena was caught on tape hitting him after refusing to heed traffic rules.
"Chairman Tolentino announced that the case IS pushing through." said Gonzales.
Under the Revised Penal Code, direct assault can be filed against any person who shall attack, employ force, or seriously intimidate any person in authority while in the performance of official duties. It is punishable by a prison term of six months to six years.
The Sandiganbayan has allowed a government official, accused with plunder along with former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to undergo a medical procedure at a hospital tomorrow. The anti-graft court permitted former Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) board member Benigno Aguas to undergo a cardiopulmonary/endocrine clearance at the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City. …