CCPO: We didn’t make up bomb threat at UP Cebu campus

·1 min read

THE Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) is prepared to divulge the result of the investigation on the bogus bomb threat at the University of the Philippines (UP) Cebu on Friday, September 16, 2022.

The Mabolo Police Station received a call around noon from a certain Manlalaban Espina that there was a bomb inside the campus located in Barangay Kamputhaw, Cebu City.

A team from the Special Weapons and Tactics and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal was quickly dispatched to the scene only to discover that there was no bomb.

University officials also denied calling the police.

UP chancellor Leo Malagar sent a letter to the CCPO requesting a copy of the result of the investigation.

Lieutenant Colonel Janette Rafter, deputy director for operations of the CCPO, said they’re waiting for the progress report of the Mabolo Police Station.

Rafter said the police didn’t make up the call, adding that they had no reason to do so.

Whenever they receive a call for assistance or an alarm, they immediately respond to it, especially if it’s a bomb threat, she said.

“We don’t just send a police team to respond to a threat unless we have information otherwise it will create a scenario in the community. Last month alone, we received many bomb threats, but we also verified the calls. As far as the police response, while verifying the call, we cannot just sit there and do nothing. So we send a team to investigate,” Rafter said in a mix of Cebuano and English.

The police official pointed out that once the police team realized that the bomb threat at the UP campus was a hoax, its members peacefully returned to their respective units. (AYB)